Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi everybody - baby steps.

Hi everybody. I joined here hoping to find some support in my healing process. Most of my friends call me by some variant of an older username, Grim, but you're welcome to call me whatever's comfortable for you. I'm well past my teen years - 28, but I'm a survivor of CSA in various forms from various sources that I never really started processing and trying to heal from until this recent November. Since then I've mostly been working on my own with my therapist helping me, but I thought finding a support group would really help me in not feeling so isolated about this stuff. I figure any step forward is better than none at this point. It's still a weird sensation finding out that what I've felt all this time isn't just me being crazy and that it's incredibly natural for people to dissociate. I'd always felt like my trauma was 'lesser' because I felt like I was an outside observer to what went on. I won't get too into it here, but a few positive things about myself now:

I really enjoy reading about history. I plan on going back to school to get a degree in the topic. I used to be something of a hobbyist musician but I quit that some time ago; I just wasn't really enjoying it much anymore. And lastly, I write fiction, specifically short stories; I'm trying to finish an anthology of sorts so I can finally achieve a long-held dream of publishing some of my own work. I'm a very proud dad to two lovely cats, one (very) senior girl and a four-year-old male. They're wonderful and have helped me through a lot over the years. It's nice to meet you all.

Edited by Alighierie
adding info

Hi @Alighierie welcome to After Silence. I'm sorry you have experienced trauma that no child or adult should ever go through. 

There are a lot of very suportive, kind and understanding people at AS .  It was very brave to take this step and introduce yourself. You said friends call you Grim,  it's nice to meet you. I'm Dawn.  

It’s nice to meet you, Grim, I am called Cap on here - got to love the nicknames that we pick up in life - sometimes I feel my nickname fits me more than my given name!  Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.  I really think you will like it here!

Anyway, I welcome you to After Silence.  This community has truly helped me to heal from my (various types of) abuses and it is comforting to know I am not alone.  The support is overwhelming, here - and the connections I have made are truly priceless.  I hope you find that the same is true for you, too.

My best wishes,

- Cap

I'm also fine with my real name being used, that being Cody - whatever is more comfortable for others. Either way, though I find myself a little filled with anxiety over a new situation with new people I really do think the support will help me a lot. Thank you both for your warm welcome.

15 hours ago, Alighierie said:

Hi everybody. I joined here hoping to find some support in my healing process. Most of my friends call me by some variant of an older username, Grim, but you're welcome to call me whatever's comfortable for you. I'm well past my teen years - 28, but I'm a survivor of CSA in various forms from various sources that I never really started processing and trying to heal from until this recent November. Since then I've mostly been working on my own with my therapist helping me, but I thought finding a support group would really help me in not feeling so isolated about this stuff. I figure any step forward is better than none at this point. It's still a weird sensation finding out that what I've felt all this time isn't just me being crazy and that it's incredibly natural for people to dissociate. I'd always felt like my trauma was 'lesser' because I felt like I was an outside observer to what went on. I won't get too into it here, but a few positive things about myself now:

I really enjoy reading about history. I plan on going back to school to get a degree in the topic. I used to be something of a hobbyist musician but I quit that some time ago; I just wasn't really enjoying it much anymore. And lastly, I write fiction, specifically short stories; I'm trying to finish an anthology of sorts so I can finally achieve a long-held dream of publishing some of my own work. I'm a very proud dad to two lovely cats, one (very) senior girl and a four-year-old male. They're wonderful and have helped me through a lot over the years. It's nice to meet you all.

Hello and welcome here, I am Wanna :flowers:

I am sincerely sorry about what happened to you. We do not compare trauma here, we relate and support each other. So please know your emotions are validated. I hope you will find the piece of support you are missing by joining this community. This is a place for you to share, exchange advice and connect with fellow survivors. All at the pace you feel comfortable to. 

I am a fan of history too! I am in fact studying history full time. You can definitely use your passion for writing here, sometimes typing your emotions out can be really relieving. We have a forum called Healing Through Creativity where you can post pieces of your writing, if you'd like. 

Please let me know if I can be at any help. Me and the other staff are here for you, would it be questions or for some company. 

Take gentle care, W ☀️