Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi, I'm new here

Hello. I am an (almost) 39 year old man, and a survivor of CSA (ages 8-9). I'm hoping to try therapy again, as my first attempt went nowhere. I'm hoping that by reaching out here and a couple other places, I can better understand and process all that I went through, and still go through.

I hope everyone is having at least an "OK" day, and if you aren't, I'm sorry. 

Hi Valdahar, 

Welcome to AfterSilence. I'm so sorry for what you experienced as a child. Nobody deserves to be hurt, especially a child. You have found a very supportive site with many understanding and kind members. We are here for you; you are not alone. 

Congrats on taking steps...reaching out here and giving therapy another try. Sometimes it takes more than one try to find the right fit with a T. It can be a process, but can be worthwhile, if you stay with it. 

Feel free to look around the community. I wish you the best as you continue to move forward on this path we call healing.

Mary

:supportu: 

@Valdahar welcome to AS.  You will find many people at various places in their own healing journey here and although the process isn’t the same for everyone we do all learn from and support each other… so I am glad you found us.

I agree with Mary it can take a couple tries to find a therapist that is a good fit.  Finding a therapist who had experience working with people who have had trauma has been the most helpful thing in my healing journey.  

Hi @Valdahar

Welcome to AS. I'm sorry for the trauma you've experienced, but I'm glad you found the site and decided to join. I'm glad to hear that you are giving therapy another try. I also had a bad experience with my first therapist and it took me many years before I was willing to give it another try. I'm so glad I did. If you can find a therapist you feel comfortable with, I'm sure you will have a much better experience. 

You are welcome to use this site as a safe space as well. I hope you will find some support here. 

On 12/2/2022 at 10:17 PM, Valdahar said:

Hello. I am an (almost) 39 year old man, and a survivor of CSA (ages 8-9). I'm hoping to try therapy again, as my first attempt went nowhere. I'm hoping that by reaching out here and a couple other places, I can better understand and process all that I went through, and still go through.

I hope everyone is having at least an "OK" day, and if you aren't, I'm sorry. 

Hello and welcome here! I am Wanna :flowers:

I am sorry to hear therapy didn't work at your first try. It can indeed be a jungle, with all these different methods, and one not always clicking with the therapist of course. Connecting with other survivors helps us feel less alone, find healthy coping techniques and related to others experiences. I am sincerely sorry about your trauma and how it affects you. We believe you, you have nothing to be ashamed about. 

Our community is open for all survivors who seek a safe place. I hope you'll find what you need in a community here. 

Feel free to reach out to me or any staff member of choice with questions or for some venting/chatting. :notalone:

Wishing you a good weekend / W ☀️