Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi everyone! 

I've been telling myself for months to join some kind of online support group but I think I talked myself out of it because I felt like I didn't deserve it or didn't belong here. Without sharing my whole story, my trauma occurred when I was drunk, so I think I'll always be terrified that in some way I started it or asked for it even though I didn't want it (and at that point, I can't even be sure of that anymore). It affects so many parts of my life but I've already read a few posts on here and I'm pleased that behaviours I show and feelings I have are shared by other people, it's reassuring. 

I'm honestly a bit nervous about joining this group and posting but I think it's the right thing to do. 

Thank you all so much for having me here and for listening 

@DialATurner I’m sorry for what brought you to this group but I am happy you found us.  You will find many people with similar stories here.  Take your time and look around.  Post as you feel comfortable.

Hi DialATurner, 

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for the trauma you’ve gone thru and the struggles you face. This community has so many understanding and kind members. You are not alone.

I’m glad to see that you’ve already noticed some similarities with others on this site. Perhaps you’ve noticed self blame and self doubt is common? It’s way too common. We always think about our actions within a trauma that possibly made it our fault, when in fact it is always the abusers fault because of what they did. They voided your ability to consent. That is on them.

I am glad you found the courage to reach out. You are accepted and validated here and are so worthy of healing.

Feel free to continue to look around and jump in when you are ready. I wish you well on this journey of healing.

Mary

:supportu:

2 hours ago, DialATurner said:

Hi everyone! 

I've been telling myself for months to join some kind of online support group but I think I talked myself out of it because I felt like I didn't deserve it or didn't belong here. Without sharing my whole story, my trauma occurred when I was drunk, so I think I'll always be terrified that in some way I started it or asked for it even though I didn't want it (and at that point, I can't even be sure of that anymore). It affects so many parts of my life but I've already read a few posts on here and I'm pleased that behaviours I show and feelings I have are shared by other people, it's reassuring. 

I'm honestly a bit nervous about joining this group and posting but I think it's the right thing to do. 

Hi I’m sorry youve had a rough time to your not alone I’ve only been a member a few days. And I’ve had someone to talk to. And Definitely the right thing to do and speak out. 

Hi @DialATurner

Welcome to AS. I'm sorry for the trauma you have experienced, but I'm glad you found the site and decided to join. This is a kind and caring community and we are all here to support each other. Taking and connecting with other survivors can help you to feel less alone. Please know that what happened to you was not your fault. 

Welcome @DialATurner to After Silence.  I’m sorry for what brought you here but I’m happy you are here reaching out for support.  Good job taking this step in your healing process.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  It doesn’t matter that you were drunk, your abuser alone is fully responsible for his/her actions.  Time your time exploring here and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me.  

On 6/9/2022 at 10:29 PM, DialATurner said:

Hi everyone! 

Hello! Popping in and wishing you welcome! I am Wanna by the way :flowers:

I am deeply and sincerely sorry for your trauma and that comes with. Please know, we believe you, and you are not alone. 

Yes, I think we somehow feel validation once we understand that our struggle is real. I suffer memory loss after my trauma, and have been afraid I suppressed giving consent. However, one doesn´t feel this way without reason. I personally think a person affected by substance cannot give consent. I am glad you came here, I think you could use a place like this. After Silence is a safe community where you can share in the amount you´d prefer and get company on your way towards healing. 

Do not hesitate to reach out with questions, thoughts or for some support. I am just one PM away. :notalone: 

All best, 

Wanna ☀️

Edited by WannaMoveOn