Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

New Here

Hello everyone. I’m not really sure what to say, but I wanted to introduce myself. All my life I have been passionate about animals. I currently have three dogs, but I’ve raised everything from gerbils to chinchillas to goats and iguanas. I am autistic, and I have always found a lot of comfort and understanding in animals since other people can be difficult for me sometimes. I am also a lesbian and have been married for coming up on three years. I love to write, hike, and play video games. My hope is this forum may help me find some of the peace I’ve been looking for.

8 minutes ago, minimal said:

Hello everyone. I’m not really sure what to say, but I wanted to introduce myself. All my life I have been passionate about animals. I currently have three dogs, but I’ve raised everything from gerbils to chinchillas to goats and iguanas. I am autistic, and I have always found a lot of comfort and understanding in animals since other people can be difficult for me sometimes. I am also a lesbian and have been married for coming up on three years. I love to write, hike, and play video games. My hope is this forum may help me find some of the peace I’ve been looking for.

Hello and welcome on board! I am Wanna :flowers:

I am happy you decided to sign up here, as this forum offers a lot of diversity. This is a safe place to get support, connect with fellow survivors and participate on your own terms. You decide how much you want to share. Take your own time to settle in, and do not hesitate to contact us staff directly. We are here for you, whether it would be for questions, thoughts or some company. 

I am sincerely sorry about your trauma and pain. Please know, we believe you :notalone:

We have many fur baby parents here.I will link our LGBT+ forum below. 

http://www.aftersilence.org/forum/index.php?/forum/58-lgbt-and-questioning-forum/

Please check your inbox for further information. 

All best, 

W ☀️

Welcome to AS, @minimal! I'm glad you found your way here. :) That is awesome you have dogs and love animals so much. I do, too. Animals are the best...they don't judge. I'm not autistic, but I really relate to what you said about animals. ❤️ Congrats on being married for 3 years! I hope you two have many more ahead of you. And I love video games, too! What have you been playing lately?

I'm sorry for what you've been through that brought you here...none of it was your fault, nor was it deserved. I hope that you find a lot of support here (I know you will). There's a ton of very kind people in this community. Best wishes to you.

-Finch

@mini.finch Thank you for the warm welcome. Animals are incredible, aren’t they? They bring me so much joy. Lately I have been playing Sims 4 a lot, adding a bunch of custom content to my game. I really like stories (reading and writing them), so I typically play RPGs since I like creating a character and playing out the story. I do similarly in the Sims, it’s playing out different stories with characters. But I play some other games as well. What do you like to play?

@S_Sundance Thank you, I am already feeling the welcoming energy and look forward to seeing all that is offered. 

Welcome Minimal, I love animals too! What are your favorites? I see you play videogames too - I like playing games! Right now I'm playing wolfenstein because it was free on Epic hahah. I hope you can find a welcoming community here and that you find some peace surrounded by people who understand and can listen to you.

Hello minimal and welcome.

I am very sorry for what you have experienced. It was wrong and undeserved. You have found a very supportive site with many understanding members. You are not alone. I am so glad you found us and decided to reach out. 

Animals are so wonderful, aren't they? I can only allow 1 pet at my complex, and I chose a cat. It doesn't mean I love dogs any less, just that I would not feel right leaving a dog during workdays and I don't have a yard for them to enjoy. I love my furbaby tho, as I am sure you do. I always dreamed of winning the lottery and opening up some sort of animal retreat. Far-fetched, but the animal love is there. I'm glad you've been able to care for so many!

Take your time and look around. Jump in when you are ready. We are here for you. I wish you the best as you continue this journey we call healing. 

Mary

:notalone:  

3 hours ago, minimal said:

I typically play RPGs since I like creating a character and playing out the story. 

Same here! I love RPG's that let you create your own character. Those are the best. I'm currently playing Mass Effect, which does allow you to create your character and make decisions etc., but it's also a third person shooter. So it's not for everyone, but I think it's a really great game. I'm also playing Astria Ascending (another RPG, but no custom character, but you CAN customize the characters they have a lot with jobs/roles/equipment). I'm glad you're enjoying Sims. I haven't played that since the original game many years ago lol! But I loved it. :) 

@whitetempest Okapis are my favorite! But I really like all animals other than wasps or mosquitoes. 😂Thank you for welcoming me.

@MeBeMary I really adore cats. My wife and I have wanted to get one, but we just aren’t in the position yet for it. I grew up with cats and they are very special to me. I would love to one day have a rescue for senior and special needs animals– the ones who have a harder time finding homes. We always have one rescue that fits into one of those categories. Right now we have a 2 year old with a congenital spinal malformation. He is very happy and active although a bit clumsy and has mild incontinence. He is at a higher risk of future paralysis and will likely develop severe arthritis in his spine as he ages. We had a dog with similar issues before and feel well prepared to deal with his issues as they arise. He’s very smart. We taught him to communicate using buttons (hoping in the future this will help with pain management) and actually learned to shake today! Thanks so much for the warm welcome. ☺️

@mini.finch I actually just recently started playing Mass Effect! There was a bundle on sale around Christmas, I think. It’s right up my alley, so I can’t believe it took me this long. Of course, like any RPG I spent a lot of my initial game play just trying to figure out where I was and where I needed to go. 😂

1 hour ago, minimal said:

@whitetempest 

@mini.finch I actually just recently started playing Mass Effect! There was a bundle on sale around Christmas, I think. It’s right up my alley, so I can’t believe it took me this long. Of course, like any RPG I spent a lot of my initial game play just trying to figure out where I was and where I needed to go. 😂

Omg! Coincidence!! Yes I have the Legendary bundle too. I'm still on the first game but excited to play the others. I spent so much time customizing my character lol. Yeah, I took a while to get situated too but after a while, I got it lol. Such a good game!!

56 minutes ago, whitetempest said:

Okapis are friend shaped, good taste!

Do you have a favorite animal?

11 minutes ago, mini.finch said:

Omg! Coincidence!! Yes I have the Legendary bundle too. I'm still on the first game but excited to play the others. I spent so much time customizing my character lol. Yeah, I took a while to get situated too but after a while, I got it lol. Such a good game!!

I spend forever on character customizing as well, lol. It’s a super fun game. I’m glad I got the bundle because it’ll take me a little while to get through. I will say, I typically play on casual mode for all my RPGs because my fine motor skills are unreliable at best. 😂 

8 minutes ago, minimal said:

Do you have a favorite animal?

Cats! I like cats and horses a lot. But my favorites are cats, specially lynx-siamese mixes of coat coloring.

1 minute ago, whitetempest said:

Cats! I like cats and horses a lot. But my favorites are cats, specially lynx-siamese mixes of coat coloring.

I always wanted a ragdoll cat as I thought they had the most beautiful fur. My first ever cat had a little smudge of color next to his nose though, like a little kiss, so I think cats that have a multicolored nose or smudge next to their nose are extra special. I love horses and used to compete in hunter. I hope one day to have my own. 

5 minutes ago, whitetempest said:

my little cat is a tabby mix with siamese and lynx! her daughter was a ragdoll mix :) they are the cutest creature ever

Awh I bet they are beautiful! My last cat was some sort of mix. I went to the shelter looking for the oldest cat they had for a companion for my sassy 14 year old torbie girl. The lobby was busy so I went to the shelter’s cat room and he was just staring at me with these big green eyes. I checked his collar and he was 14. I had to bring him home. He actually ended up being the oldest cat there, lol.  He was a dilute gray tabby and huge beautiful slanted green eyes with brown freckles. I kinda think he knew I was his person the moment I stepped in there. 

Welcome @minimal to After Silence.  I’m sorry for what brought you here but I’m happy you are here reaching out for support.  Good job taking this step in your healing process.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  Take your time exploring and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me.  Also, I'm an autistic lesbian as well.  

12 hours ago, minimal said:

I spend forever on character customizing as well, lol. It’s a super fun game. I’m glad I got the bundle because it’ll take me a little while to get through. I will say, I typically play on casual mode for all my RPGs because my fine motor skills are unreliable at best. 😂 

Character customizing is one of my most time consuming parts of the game lol. I love it! Hehe. Yes, it's a great game. 😄 I'm so glad I got it, too. No worries about playing on casual mode...no judgment. I put games on easy/casual often, too. 😉 That's what those options are there for! To be used!

Dear minimal

Welcome to After Silence.  I am sorry to hear of the trauma you have been through!

Being here has helped me so much.   Everyone is so caring and supportive here.  I am proud of you for reaching out.  I know that is hard to do.  I also know that you will find that needed compassion and support here within our community.  Know we are here for you and we will listen whenever you would like to lean on us.    

Take care and please do not hesitate to ask for any help if you ever need it.