Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

spoiler bbcode?

hi! several other forums i’m on for various topics have implemented “spoiler” bbcode  [spoiler] [/spoiler] 

or

[spoiler=title of spoiler] [/spoiler] 

this is used to hide spoilers on fan websites and to hide potentially triggering parts of messages on mental health forums. with spoiler bbcode, it would make it possible for users to “hide” certain sensitive parts of their posts if they so wish, either to avoid having it be as public (even though we’re private) or to avoid triggering others, because to read it one would need to click to reveal the “spoiler.”

for spoiler titles, it would be useful to say tw or cw (whatever the major tw and cw are) for example

[spoiler=tw incest]story containing that topic in a broader thread[/spoiler]

would allow those who are in more sensitive frames of mind to browse the forums a bit more freely as the text-based trigger warnings are often easy to miss in longer posts if not accompanied by the emoticons. and if one so wishes, definitely not implying this is necessary by any means, but in a post that for the most part belongs in another forum but has a small bit of potential triggers like mentions of certain widely sensitive things, for example

[spoiler=cw sexual comments]i am sharing these sexual comments someone made to me with whoever clicks into this. but you do not have to read it in order to enjoy my entire post.[/spoiler]

would be useful in situations where something like that must be mentioned but it is in another forum, simply as a small piece of a larger on-topic post. 

its just something i’ve thought about recently. it may be overboard, but often i don’t post because my posts have something that could potentially be a trigger. it would help users in sensitive frames of mind to avoid smaller pieces of posts that cause major distress. 

all that said, it’s just a suggestion that i thought might be useful! :) 

Hello!

I've actually seen this done before....a member will self-hide their own post contents and the content is viewable if the reader clicks on it to expand it.  

I'm not sure that's the correct code, though - I have tried it and got no prompt to 'click to reveal.'

If anyone knows the right way to do this, I hope they'll let us know! :)  I agree it's a good feature to have here, especially if adding a response to an initial post that doesn't have trigger warnings.

Thanks for reaching out!

Hope you're well, @markeslilja!!

- Cap

@Capulet I'm on another forum that uses Invision (so it's an identical interface), and they have an easy to click button that creates the spoiler box for you. So I imagine it's possible with AS since it uses the same interface/company. :) It looks like this:

spoilers.png