Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Thought I’d give this a try :)

SchiHa

Hi there. I’ve been a R*** survivor for about six years. I come from a very small town, where these sort of things happen but no one ever talks about it. Sadly this includes me. I’ve never told any of my family or friends about what happened to me, and rather have just worked it out through therapy. I can honestly say that I am doing very well, but lately I’ve been thinking that connecting with people who can relate better to me and the things I’ve gone through may be a good thing to do. By not telling anyone about my experience, I feel like I have a lack of support sometimes. I’ve been very proud of myself for being strong enough to build myself back up, but sometimes I feel like I could use a friend. 

Anyway, it’s so nice to meet you all. :)

Welcome, @SchiHa, to After Silence. I'm sorry you found us under these circumstances, but I am glad you're here.  Hoping that being connected with other survivors will bring you peace, comfort and healing. ❤️ 

I can relate a bit, I did not share my experience at 17 with my family.  I still haven't, only my fiancee knows.  My (grown) children know a little bit but not all details.  I have remained a very private person (there's a story behind that, too) and really only talk about the in-depth stuff to those I trust.

You have found a really great community filled with others who can understand the aftermath of sexual violence.  I hope you will find us to be a safe, supportive place....and a friend or two while you're at it. :)

You'll soon hear from a member of the Newbie Support Team with some helpful links and information - until then, know I'm just a holler away if you have any questions about anything. 

Best wishes, and again - welcome!

- Capulet

Hi SchiHa.

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for all you've been thru, but know you have found a supportive site with many understanding and kind members. I am also another who has told relatively few people of my experiences. Tho it does seem to be getting a little more talked about in society in recent years, I think many of us find it still difficult to discuss with those who really don't understand. This community is a safe and healing place to be tho, as you can talk as little or as much as you need, without pressure or judgement. I am very glad you found us.

Feel free to look around the site. I wish you the best as you continue this journey we call healing. 

Mary

:supportu:  

Dear schiha

I am sorry for all that you have been through.   You have been so brave in reaching out to us, please know that this is never easy!   We are all here for you and we want to support you.  You're not alone in your healing journey and are always welcome to lean on us for extra support.  You can post as much or as little as you like.  We are here to support you in the way you need.  I have found this community to be very helpful.  Everyone is so understanding and non-judgmental and I am hoping you feel the same way once you've gotten to know us a little.   

All my best,

missfrier

Welcome @SchiHa to After Silence.  I’m sorry for what brought you here but I’m happy you are here reaching out for support.  I really hope you find the support you deserve here.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  Take your time exploring and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me.  

I can completely relate with not telling family or friends about your trauma. I feel like for me I have this feeling of needing to "protect" them from all the bad scary things that I'm dealing with.  My family is also very conservative, so it just seems like discussing this type of trauma would just be a no go for them.

If you ever wanna talk feel free to message me. I hope you find some of the support that you are looking for!