Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

New and not great at this

OceanView

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and new to this (so sorry, in advance, if I am not great at it) and am never quite sure what to put with introductions, but if there is anything anyone wants to know, please feel free to just ask.

A couple of things inspired me to join the site. Life isn't great, at the moment. Just before I was due to go back to school, I developed shingles. It's not the worst illness, by a long way. But it's kind of long term and some of the care I have to receive is a bit triggering. So I'm grateful to be part of somewhere where I'm free to talk about things ('free' but not pressured), in a shame-free environment, although it feels a bit ungrateful to say so. I know I'm really fortunate, in that I have the best friends in the world and I am sure that they would be nothing but supportive, if I told them what had happened (something I believe not least because they know and have never asked why I live with a foster family). However, I'm not ready to tell them yet and I feel its not just about being around people who are supportive but about being around people who have had similar experiences (there's an analogy, that has helped me, which I would like to share, but it's perhaps best saved for a different post).

As I say, I'm new and not very good at this, so I will leave it there for now, but 'Hi. 🙂'

Hi, @OceanView - and welcome to After Silence.  I'm so sorry you have reason to be here but am glad you're considering this community to be a 'stop' along your healing journey.  You are right - we are a safe place to talk about things, and you will very likely soon form connections with those who truly understand what you are going through.  You're not alone as you navigate the path to healing, and I hope that being here will bring you some peace and comfort.

We are all new at some point, but I have a feeling you'll fit in just fine in no time.  You'll soon hear from a member of the Newbie Support Team with some helpful links and information.  Until then, know I'm around if you have any questions! :) 

Best wishes,
- Capulet

Hello @OceanView! Welcome to AS. I'm glad you found your way here. It's ok to take your time exploring the forums and posting what you're comfortable with. There's no rush. You'll get used to it in no time. :) Your intro was just fine! So no worries. 

I'm so sorry for what you've been through that brought you here. And it also sounds miserable to have Shingles! I hope that you recover from that quickly. It's a shame that some of the treatment is triggering. :( I'm so sorry. I'm glad you have such wonderful friends...but with your friends, just like here on AS, there's no rush in telling your story. Only speak about what you're comfortable with. You'll meet a lot of kind and supportive people here. You are not alone on this healing journey...I wish you all the best! ❤️ We're here for you!

-Finch

Welcome @OceanView to After Silence.  I hope this will be a good place for you to talk to others who have had similar experiences.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  Take your time exploring and post when you are ready.  Also I’m sorry to hear you have shingles. If you have any questions feel free to message me. 

Dear oceanview

I am sorry for all that you have been through.   You have been so brave in reaching out to us, please know that this is never easy!   We are all here for you and we want to support you.  You're not alone in your healing journey and are always welcome to lean on us for extra support.  You can post as much or as little as you like.  We are here to support you in the way you need.  I have found this community to be very helpful.  Everyone is so understanding and non-judgmental and I am hoping you feel the same way once you've gotten to know us a little.   

All my best,

missfrier

Hi OceanView (I like the user name you've chosen 😊 )

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for what you've been thru and the struggles you are facing. Abuse is undeserved and unfair. I am glad you have found us tho, and do know this is a very supportive community. Our members are understanding and kind. You are free to talk about whatever you are comfortable and are correct, pressure NOT included. It is a shame-free environment and we don't see you as ungrateful. It is a relief to all of us to have such a safe place and feel included...which you are.

Take your time and look around. Feel free to interact when and where you feel comfortable...and know you are not alone. I wish you nothing but the best...in the healing process and in the shingles healing process. 

Mary

:youcanheal: