Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Only two genders on registration form

Hi there,

I'm hoping this is the right place to post this kind of feedback,  but I noticed when signing up that the registration form only gave the options of male or female gender. Is this something that can be updated to reflect the full spectrum of gender identities or at least give people the option to self identify?

There's a great article on gender inclusive forms here. Thanks!

Hello, @Pink Sky - we have actually had this question before and unfortunately, our software only offers the two options at registration.  I know - in this day and age, there really, REALLY should be more flexibility when it comes to gender.  I agree with you on that.  Certainly something we can bring up at our next update but for the moment, that’s how it’s always been.  Thank you for the article!  

If you wish to self-identify, there is a space on your profile that will show up underneath your username - I believe it says ‘rank?’  It will be a clear field where you may put a nickname, a quote, or if you wish, you are welcome to share there what your gender is.  A few other members have chosen to share this way.  AS welcomes (and supports) all!  If you’d like, we have forums for trans survivors. If you would like the password to that forum, please give me a shout! 🙂

Wishing you well and welcome to AS!

- Cap

Hi @Capulet - thanks for your response. No worries at all, I realise sometimes it's not possible to change these things. I am actually a cis woman myself but wanted to flag on behalf of others who might feel excluded. Great that there's a safe and welcoming space for trans survivors within the forum, and thanks for having this on your radar in case it's possible in future. 

@Pink Sky - absolutely!!!!  😁  Thank you for pointing it out, too!  Sometimes in order for a long-term difference to be made, we are needing feedback such as yours so that we can find ways to improve one’s experiences on the site.  This is definitely something we could bring up to the developers to include with registrations in the future.  ❤️