Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

First Steps

Hello new friends.

I'm 40.  Just talked to a therapist for the first time today.

5 days ago I came out to my husband about my past... well just the surface of it.

I didn't even know how bad I was suffering until I spoke my truth out loud.  I'm really hoping that support groups like this will help me get through.  I'm also looking for group therapy in my area.  Pretty hard because of COVID but I'll find something hopefully.

Thanks for being here and sharing your stories and helping others like me navigate it all.

Welcome to AS, @miss_read! I'm glad you found your way here, though I'm terribly sorry for what you've experienced to lead you here. That is awesome you saw a therapist for the first time today. Therapy can be really helpful. I hope that you find it to be a big help to you...it's difficult, and healing is a long process, but I'm proud of you for taking the first steps. ❤️ You'll find a lot of really kind and supportive people here. Best wishes!

-Finch

Hi miss_read,

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for the trauma you have endured and the struggles you face. You are taking very healthy and brave steps, so I commend you on this. It's never easy to face the pain we've gone thru. I'm glad you decided to join our community. 

Feel free to look around the site. You will meet many understanding and supportive survivors. Feel free to jump in when and where you feel comfortable, with no pressure ever. I wish you nothing but the best as you continue to move forward on this path that we call healing.

Mary

:notalone: 

Dear miss read 

I am sorry for all that you have been through.   You have been so brave in reaching out to us, please know that this is never easy!   We are all here for you and we want to support you.  You're not alone in your healing journey and are always welcome to lean on us for extra support.  You can post as much or as little as you like.  We are here to support you in the way you need.  I have found this community to be very helpful.  Everyone is so understanding and non-judgmental and I am hoping you feel the same way once you've gotten to know us a little.   

All my best,

missfrier

Hi, @miss_read - 

Welcome to After Silence! I'm sorry you have reason to be here, but I'm proud of you for reaching out for help. I know it can be a challenge to reach out, so kudos to you for being able to do it! 

There are so many amazing forums here and lots of wonderful, supportive people to help you through this difficult time. I know sharing is hard, but I like to think we gain power and strength by speaking out about what's happened to us. 

If you need anything or have any questions, feel free to reach out to me anytime! 

Best,
Poppy

Thanks for the welcomes.

The past week has been really surreal for me.  This is the 2nd forum I've joined.  Is that odd?  I mentioned to someone who PM'd me that I feel like I'm cheating on all of you and them by being in two places at once.  But it's kind of like my search for the right therapist I guess.  I have to keep telling myself that its ok to choose the right healing path for ME.  I always have to reassure myself that the decisions I make are ok.  I don't have to make decisions based on whatever anyone else needs.  This time is MINE.  

It's a hard realization to see that I'm 40 and I'm just now understanding this.  I feel like i've lost a lot of time.  A lot of my life.  Time to get some of it back.

Welcome @miss_read to After Silence.  I’m sorry for what brought you here but I’m happy you are here reaching out for support.  Good job taking this step in your healing process.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  Take your time exploring and post when you are ready.  I personally don't consider it to a bad thing to have more than one source of online support.  Honestly a lot of people get support from various places anyway, be it a therapist, friends, a spouse, and so on.  Most people have more than one friend for example so I don't really see it any differently.  If you have any questions feel free to message me.