Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi, After Silence comunity

Hi there 🦋

I found this website a few weeks ago and this is my first time posting. Finally gathered the courage to write something so here it goes.

One year ago I took a decision which would change my life for the better: I left my boyfriend who was hurting me emotionally and physically. I have been lucky enough to have the support of my friends and my therapist. I find mediation and yoga incredible helpful as well. Since I'm in the midst of my "one year anniversary" of taking back the control over my own life, I was given the option by my therapist to write a letter to my younger self, in order to help me heal. I was super excited at first since I am a storyteller and I really want to write the letter. I have been finding a lot of comfort in communicating with myself and caring for my heart and needs, the relationship with myself is growing stronger each passing day. At the same time it's also scary because I am hurting for my past person, I know how scared I was back then and how much pain I felt. I know in my heart this letter will help, so I will do it this weekend. I also want to advocate for what I believe in namely that courage is not the absence of fear but acting in spite of the fear.

I am so sorry for anything you are going through and I send you all my warmest hug and energy. Remember: healing comes in waves and like a wave, it can be overbearing and scary at times, but the horizon never let's us down ❤️

Lots of love to you all

Hello and welcome to AS, @Irisdescent_fly:aswelcomesu: I'm glad you found your way here and got the courage to write your first post. It is difficult to open up to a new community. But you're in the right place...we're all very supportive and friendly. I'm glad that you made that decision one year ago to leave your abusive boyfriend. Congratulations! That is huge. It is a big, big step that is not easy to do whatsoever. I'm glad that you've been finding lots of support systems and healthy coping skills like meditation and yoga. :) Very proud of you for all of this. I wish you all the best in writing that letter. I've found letter writing to be incredibly helpful as well. 

Thank you for your kind words. ❤️ Take care!

-Finch

Hi @mini.finch ❤️ Thank you for your kind words and the warm welcome. I am already finding this place very safe and supporting. Thanks also for the encouragement in writing the letter, I might post it here if it feels right and in the hope it would help someone who might be struggling. Take care 😍

Dear iris

I would like to welcome you to After Silence's forums.  We are all here for you and want to support you in any way we can. I know that posting for the first time can be scary.  Please don't worry, though; you will always be given so much support from our lovely community and its members.  You're not alone - we are with you.

You will soon receive an official welcome message in your inbox.  Please feel free to respond to that PM if you have any questions about the forum or if you need some help finding your way around the site. 

Take care and keep reaching out!! 

Hello @Irisdescent_fly 

I’m so happy you were able to find AS and seek comfort in our community. I’m glad you were able to have friends and family and even your therapist have your back as you transition from living where you had and in all that pain to a new section in your story: Healing. You’re absolutely right. Healing is not a straighten arrow. It’s a large bell curve and roller coaster we all go through. Your courage is astounding and your bravery matched. You are beautiful and wonderful and I hope you find support and peace here with us. I’m here and my inbox is open if ever you need extra support. Much love.

Hi Irisdescent_fly,

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for the abuse your ex put you thru, but happy you found the courage to leave him. I know it isn't easy to do, so I am glad you have. What he put you thru was unfair and undeserved. You will find much support here tho, as our members are truly kind and understanding. You find yourself among friends.

It does sound that you are moving forward on this journey we call healing and your T sounds like a good one! I hope we can also help you with steps forward, as healing is so deserved. Feel free to look around the site and I wish you the best as you continue to move forward down this path we call healing.

Mary

:youcanheal:

Hello @Astriid :) So sweet of you, thank you a lot! Indeed, I am incredible happy for all the support of friends and therapist. I decided to not tell my story to my family, as I don't want to pain them unnecessarily and they would go raging mad, and that's just not helping. I'm working on seeing myself as brave, so I appreciate it 😘

Thank you ❤️

Iris

Welcome @Irisdescent_fly to After Silence.  I’m sorry for what brought you here but I’m happy you are here reaching out for support.  Good job taking this step in your healing process.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  I'm happy you are starting to take back your life.  Writing a letter sounds like a great idea.  Take your time exploring here and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me. 

Hi, @Irisdescent_fly - 

Welcome to After Silence! I am so glad you decided to make your first post here and jump into this community! I think writing a letter to your younger self is a great idea. I recently went to a trauma retreat and that was the first time I ever wrote a letter to my younger self. It was hard and very emotional, but also very cathartic and healing. I, too, like to write! I have a blog here on the site and it has been a fantastic outlet for me. You can always look into that if it's something you're interested in! 

Anyway, I hope you're finding your place well here. Should you need anything at all, feel free to shoot me a message any time :) 

Best of luck,
Poppy