Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

New To This Site, Not A Victim, Girl Friend Was A Victim Before I Met Her

I'll be posting a lot more on this soon. I have several questions/concerns. Girl friend's ex-husband went to jail for 8 years for what he did to her. That pretty much sums up how bad it was. He gets out of jail at the end of April. So of course I have concerns, thoughts, questions. Not overly paranoid about it, because I do also have reasons to believe he'll won't attempt to repeat his crime. So I guess what I'm saying is I believe it's unlikely he'll strike again, but at the same time, I'm not positive. More later. Just wanted to introduce myself for starters. 

Welcome to AS @rfd1283! I'm glad you found your way here. It's really awesome of you to come here on behalf of your girlfriend because you're concerned for her and her situation. I hope everything works out. Take your time exploring the site and asking whatever questions you need.

-Finch

Hi rfd,

Welcome to the site. I am very sorry for what happened to your gf. Abuse is never ok in any way, shape or form. Eight years is hardly justice in a survivor's mind, but it is actually much better than most get. The justice system, sadly, doesn't favor a survivor. Still, 8 years is not enough for what someone does to another. 

Your gf is very lucky to have your support, especially as April comes around. Even if it is unlikely, I'm sure she will go thru an array of emotions, so my little bit of a suggestion (before you cover more, when your ready), is to be patient with her. 

Feel free to look around to the secondary's assessible areas and post when you are ready. Wishing both of you the best.

Mary

:aswelcomesu:

Hello and welcome to After Silence @rfd1283 ! I am Wanna :flowers:

That sounds very stressful and unsettling for you and your partner. I am sincerely sorry for the behalf of you both. By seeking support, you are doing a wonderful thing for your girlfriend and yourself. This is a great place to get advice, share (within what you feel comfortable with) and to relate. We talk pretty much about anything here. 

When somebody you love has a traumatic past, it's easy to put a lot on pressure on oneself or feel unsure how to act at times. Just know that you deserve support as well and that After Silence is here for you two. :notalone: If you feel unsafe regarding the release, I believe the local authority should be able to give you answers and clarification. 

Wishing the best for you two, and once again - welcome! 

- Wanna ☀️

Edited by WannaMoveOn

Hello rdf1283

Welcome to  AS.   I am sorry to hear that you've had to find us, but  glad you did.  I am sad to hear that someone you care about has experienced trauma.  It is always wonderful to see someone willing and wanting to help their family member or friend through this   difficult time.   Just being there for them and letting  them talk without fear of judgement is the absolute best gift you can give them.  Please know and understand that we are also here to support you.  I hope that being here will help you to be able to support your loved one as best as you possibly can.  Please lean on us for support if you need.  

Wishing you all the best!!!
missfrier

Welcome @rfd1283 to After Silence.  I’m sorry to hear about the abuse your girlfirend experienced.   Thank you for supporing her!  It makes sense you have some questions.  We are here to help.  Take your time exploring and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me.