Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

New to this

It's difficult to talk to people who don't understand and haven't been through what I have. I'm hoping that connecting with people with similar issues may help my mindset or at least give me some kind of outlet. I just don't know how to handle the nightmares anymore and don't understand after all of these years why they won't go away. 

Hi,

I have nightmares too.  I’ve had them since I was a little kid and also don’t know why I still have them.  I have started noticing certain things about my current nightmares like what seems to bring them on and sometimes things will happen in my dreams, not that I think I have any control over this, that will help me not be scared of them.  If you ever need to talk you can PM me.

Hi GoldDustGypsy,

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry you have experienced trauma and are struggling. You have found a supportive site with many understanding members. You are not alone. Do know there is nothing wrong with you, as struggles sadly do not go away as quickly and as completely as we like. It was very wrong that you were hurt and it was so undeserved. This is a safe place to interact with others.

It does take courage to reach out. I do believe that it is better to be with others who know this path we travel and have found it helpful on the healing journey. If you look around you will see many others experience similar things and the support is a positive in this whole awful mess we go thru. I wish you many steps forward as you continue down this path we call healing.

Mary

:notalone:  

Dear golddustgypsy

I am sorry for all that you have been through.   You have been so brave in reaching out to us, please know that this is never easy!   We are all here for you and we want to support you.  You're not alone in your healing journey and are always welcome to lean on us for extra support.  You can post as much or as little as you like.  We are here to support you in the way you need.  I have found this community to be very helpful.  Everyone is so understanding and non-judgmental and I am hoping you feel the same way once you've gotten to know us a little.   

All my best,

missfrier

3 hours ago, GoldDustGypsy said:

It's difficult to talk to people who don't understand and haven't been through what I have. I'm hoping that connecting with people with similar issues may help my mindset or at least give me some kind of outlet. I just don't know how to handle the nightmares anymore and don't understand after all of these years why they won't go away. 

Hi!  I'm a bit short on words but wanted to say hello.  I understand the need to connect to people with similar issues and just needing an outlet!  Sending you support and hoping for more peaceful nights ❤️ 

Welcome, @GoldDustGypsy,

I am sorry about the nightmares.  I think you'll find many people here can relate; they are something that plague many survivors of abuse.

I am glad you found us and wish you comfort and healing.

Take Care,

Gold Raindrops

Welcome @GoldDustGypsy to After Silence.  I’m sorry for what brought you here but I’m happy you are here reaching out for support.  Good job taking this step in your healing process.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  Take your time exploring and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me. 

6 hours ago, 8888 said:

Welcome @GoldDustGypsy to After Silence.  I’m sorry for what brought you here but I’m happy you are here reaching out for support.  Good job taking this step in your healing process.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  Take your time exploring and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me. 

Thank u @8888

23 hours ago, GoldDustGypsy said:

Hello GoldDustGybsy, I am Wanna. Welcome to After Silence :flowers:

First off, I am sincerely sorry for your trauma and pain. You have no guilt, nor any shame in this. You own your story, and please know that we believe you. With that said, I want to tell you how happy I am you decided to join us! Having a community means a great deal, and like you said, some things are difficult to talk about with just anyone. Of course, people can always offer sympathy, but fellow survivors can also offer empathy. We are here for you  :notalone:

Trauma sadly does not dissolve by itself. Some things need to be actively processed. Otherwise, they tend to stick with us. Night terrors is one way trauma takes shape. Luckily, there are many ways to process and find healthy coping. 

You can talk about anything here, Aftersilence is there through good and bad! 

Take care - and once again: Welcome! 

- Wanna ☀️

1 minute ago, GoldDustGypsy said:

Thank u so much @WannaMoveOn I hate that other people have been through similar situations but it's comforting knowing Im not alone. My heart is with all of u.

Yes, it's dreadful that so many people are struggling with this. But we can come together and help each other out :) That is so sweet, sending you support as well! 

Feel free to reach out any time 

- Wanna ☀️

Hi, @GoldDustGypsy - 

Welcome to After Silence! I know how hard it is to reach out to people that just don't understand what you're going through. Here is a safe place full of people that DO understand nd I hope it helps you to be able to talk here. 

If you need anything, please don't hesitate to reach out to me any time! 

Best wishes,
Poppy