Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Stupid epilepsy

I have uncontrolled epilepsy. In my late 20's I had a seizure in public (they look like I'm staring into space), was kidnapped and attacked. It was the day before father's day, so I didn't tell my family so not to ruin the weekend. Then I've kept putting it off.

My dad must have seen something different about the way I act, because he started saying I was acting angry toward him, though I thought I was acting neutral. Now for about a year he has not talked verbally to me.

I just want to scream sometimes!

Edited by Little Bo-Peep

Hi Little Bo-Peep,

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for what happened to you and how your illness made you vulnerable. It must be scary to have an uncontrolled seizures and I'm sorry there isn't anything that helps, at the moment. You will find much support here. Our community is filled with many understanding and kind members. You are not alone.

Feel free to look around and interact where you feel most comfortable. It is a big step to reach out and I am so glad you have. I wish you many more steps forward as you continue moving forward on the path of healing.

Mary

:notalone:

Dear little bo beep

I am sorry for all that you have been through.   You have been so brave in reaching out to us, please know that this is never easy!   We are all here for you and we want to support you.  You're not alone in your healing journey and are always welcome to lean on us for extra support.  You can post as much or as little as you like.  We are here to support you in the way you need.  I have found this community to be very helpful.  Everyone is so understanding and non-judgmental and I am hoping you feel the same way once you've gotten to know us a little. 

All my best

missfrier,  

11 hours ago, Little Bo-Peep said:

I have uncontrolled epilepsy. In my late 20's I had a seizure in public (they look like I'm staring into space), was kidnapped and attacked. It was the day before father's day, so I didn't tell my family so not to ruin the weekend. Then I've kept putting it off.

My dad must have seen something different about the way I act, because he started saying I was acting angry toward him, though I thought I was acting neutral. Now for about a year he has not talked verbally to me.

I just want to scream sometimes!

Hello Little Bo-Peep, I am Wanna :flowers: Welcome to After Silence. 

Words can't describe how sincerely sorry I am for your trauma, and how the situation has affected your relationship with your father.

It is important that you know, that none of this is your fault. Coping is not easy, and before we find a healthy way, it might sadly take toll on our close relationships. There are ways for survivors and their near ones to get through, I hope you'll eventually experience that. 

I hope you will find this site to become your safe place to share whatever you'd like, and to receive some advice. Please reach out to us staff whenever you have questions, need to vent or chat. 

Once again, 

welcome :youcanheal:

- Wanna 🌻

Welcome @Little Bo-Peep to After Silence.  I’m sorry to hear you were taken advantage of but I'm happy you are here reaching out for support.  Good job taking this step in your healing process.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn't your fault.  Take your time exploring and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me. 

I'm sending so much love and support to you, @Little Bo-Peep. We welcome you with open arms here, and I am proud of you for seeking help through AS. It's helped me and I hope it can help you too!

I'm sorry to hear that you were taken advantage of in such a vulnerable state. Just know that this was not your fault and you can always find love and support here on this site :) xx

I really like this site so far. Meet nothing but kindness. Just out of curiosity, do the leaders of this site have any degrees or training in counseling or psychology of these topics? Or are they just really kind people?

Hi @Little Bo-Peep

I'm sorry for what happened you. You did not deserve to be treated in that way. But I'm glad you found the site and are able to connect with others to get support. 

All of us on staff are volunteers. Some staff members happen to be going to school for or have a background counseling or social work, but most of us do not. We really are all just survivors that want to give back to a site that has helped us so much. 

@Little Bo-PeepB

I'm sorry for the trauma you experienced. I also have intractable seizures, temporal lobe/complex partial with secondary generalization. I understand the frustration and fears associated with being vulnerable. I always get an aura/warning, but can't tell how much time I have before the seizure. I'm glad you found After Silence. 💚

@feralcat

Seizure are a pain. I don't get warnings. I usually only tell I had one by the headach or grogginess afterwards. There can be some I don't even know I have. They're usually small and short. But because of the starting point, and it might also be for you, the drugs don't/can't fully work.

I recently had a 5 day EEG stay at the hospital. About 15 seizures while off the meds, only remember 3 of them. Dr said most of the time my body would have a small twitch. But one I started trying to pull the gauze wrapped around my head covering the eeg probes off! A nurse had to run in and stop me 😆!

I'm also glad I found AS. I'm finding myself stronger.