Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Trying to start somewhere

Mlbrown

Hi all I’m Megan, I was raped 16 years ago over a period of a year and I’m only just beginning to deal with everything now. It turns out avoiding it and burying it wasn’t the best idea so I’m trying to process it all, as well as all the affects it’s had and still has on me now. I’m currently in therapy (just a couple months in). But haven’t shared or told anyone about it other then my therapist who has recommended a support group so here I am. Please be patient with me I’m really struggling at the moment but I’m glad to have been accepted and hope I can help you all as much as you can help me.

Hello @Mlbrown welcome to After Silence! I am Wanna :flowers:

You are right, burying it and avoiding it won't help you. Every survivor needs to be allowed to actively heal and processing. That you have turned to a therapist is an important and good step, I am happy you decided to. I am also happy that you are here. Having a community always gives you some back up, with others who can relate and sit with you. 

This is a place where you are allowed to share in your own pace. Of course there is patience, and only you decide if and when to share certain things. 

We appreciate members both sharing and supporting within the amount they want and are able to. This is in first hand a place for you to find comfort, but giving someone else advice and support can be a wonderful addition. 

I am truly and deeply sorry for your trauma, pain and how this has affected your life. We believe you, we will be there for you, and you own your story. I hope you are aware that none of this is your fault.

Have a look around here, browse a bit and when you feel ready, you are most invited to post :notalone: :youcanheal:

Stay safe. If you would have any questions, would need to vent or chat, do not hesitate to reach out to us staff. 

- Wanna ☀️

Edited by WannaMoveOn

Dear megan

I am sorry for all that you have been through.   You have been so brave in reaching out to us, please know that this is never easy!   We are all here for you and we want to support you.  You're not alone in your healing journey and are always welcome to lean on us for extra support.  You can post as much or as little as you like.  We are here to support you in the way you need.  I have found this community to be very helpful.  Everyone is so understanding and non-judgmental and I am hoping you feel the same way once you've gotten to know us a little.   

All my best,

missfrier

Welcome Megan to After Silence.  I’m sorry for what brought you here but I’m happy you are here reaching out for support.  Good job taking this step in your healing process.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  Take your time exploring and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me. 

13 hours ago, Mlbrown said:

Hi all I’m Megan, I was raped 16 years ago over a period of a year and I’m only just beginning to deal with everything now. It turns out avoiding it and burying it wasn’t the best idea so I’m trying to process it all, as well as all the affects it’s had and still has on me now. I’m currently in therapy (just a couple months in). But haven’t shared or told anyone about it other then my therapist who has recommended a support group so here I am. Please be patient with me I’m really struggling at the moment but I’m glad to have been accepted and hope I can help you all as much as you can help me.

Hi Megan.

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for what happened to you about 16 years ago. It was wrong and undeserved. You will find tons of support here, as our members are kind and understanding. You are not alone.

I too, avoided and denied for many years. We trick ourselves into thinking if we bury it, it will not affect us. I know that I had struggled most of my years and like you, finally found the courage to face it. It's not an easy thing, but it's a positive and eventually healing step. You will find you are safe here with what you want to talk about...take your time tho, as you are never expected to share more than you feel comfortable with.

I am glad you found our little community and was encouraged to join. You've already started steps forward and I wish you many more steps as you continue down the path we call healing.

Mary

:supportu:  

Hi all thankyou so much for your kind words and support I will certainly be having a read through everything and posting when I feel ready but it’s nice to know I’m not alone I’m just sorry we all have to get to know each other under these circumstances.

@Mlbrown - I'm so sorry for what you went through. It's good that you're reaching out, and I can assure you that this is a safe place full of people who empathise and care a great deal. I relate to the ordeal you mention - it's an incredibly difficult thing to face and deal with. As you negotiate your past, do know that you have a whole bunch of fellow survivors here for support when you need it. 

All the best, LisaButterfly 

On 10/13/2020 at 5:58 AM, Mlbrown said:

It is nice to meet you Megan, I too, chose to bury my past, which only leads me to depression. I realized I needed another place to vent and get support. I am glad you are here and know that you are not alone.