Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi all

abhaya

Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum and figured I'd post a short introduction. I am a survivor of CSA, DV, and spiritual abuse (not all in the same setting/relationship), and as part of trying to understand what happened I went on and got a graduate degree in counseling... but I have never felt comfortable really speaking openly about my story or even identifying as a survivor except with very close friends. I have worked with therapists one on one over the years, but I have recently started to see that there is something stopping me from moving forward in my own healing journey and I think it has to do with continuing to keep the secrets of my abuse, so I'm hoping that a peer support connection will be a good option to continue my healing.  I am lucky to have a kind and supportive partner, and am generally doing ok day-to-day, my abuse history is thankfully well in my rear view mirror now, but I still struggle with trauma symptoms and anxiety.  I have hesitated to seek support in a peer group setting in my local area because as a therapist myself I don't want to be in a group setting that prevents one of my clients from themselves seeking support due to dual relationship ethics, so I'm here solely as a fellow survivor, doing my best. Thanks for creating these forums.

Dear abhay

I would like to welcome you to After Silence's forums.  We are all here for you and want to support you in any way we can. I know that posting for the first time can be scary.  Please don't worry, though; you will always be given so much support from our lovely community and its members.  You're not alone - we are with you.

You will soon receive an official welcome message in your inbox.  Please feel free to respond to that PM if you have any questions about the forum or if you need some help finding your way around the site. 

Take care and keep reaching out!! 

3 hours ago, abhaya said:

Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum and figured I'd post a short introduction. I am a survivor of CSA, DV, and spiritual abuse (not all in the same setting/relationship), and as part of trying to understand what happened I went on and got a graduate degree in counseling... but I have never felt comfortable really speaking openly about my story or even identifying as a survivor except with very close friends. I have worked with therapists one on one over the years, but I have recently started to see that there is something stopping me from moving forward in my own healing journey and I think it has to do with continuing to keep the secrets of my abuse, so I'm hoping that a peer support connection will be a good option to continue my healing.  I am lucky to have a kind and supportive partner, and am generally doing ok day-to-day, my abuse history is thankfully well in my rear view mirror now, but I still struggle with trauma symptoms and anxiety.  I have hesitated to seek support in a peer group setting in my local area because as a therapist myself I don't want to be in a group setting that prevents one of my clients from themselves seeking support due to dual relationship ethics, so I'm here solely as a fellow survivor, doing my best. Thanks for creating these forums.

Hello abhaya and welcome to After Silence. I am Wanna :flowers:

I am truly sorry for your suffering and trauma. You made the right choice coming here, having a stable community can support you in several ways. We invite all kinds of survivors and discuss different kinds of trauma, coping methods, daily moods and mental health here just to mention a few examples. We do have a lot of fun here too. :) 

I am happy that you have a supportive partner. I hope that you will be able to lighten your burden on this platform by feeling safe to open up. We believe you. If you would need anything at all, us staff is here. Whether you have questions, need advice or someone to sit with you, we have doors open!  

Stay safe and once again, welcome! :notalone: :youcanheal:

- Wanna ☀️

Edited by WannaMoveOn

Welcome @abhaya.

I'm glad you found the site and decided to join. I'm sorry for the trauma you have experienced. Sometimes connecting with other survivors can be beneficial to the healing process. We are all here to support and validate one another. I hope you end up finding this site to be as helpful as I do. 

Hi abhaya,

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for your traumatic history, but you will find much support here. This is a community filled with understanding and kind members, which you are now one of. I can understand the conflict that might occur, if you would seek out support in your local area.I agree, it's a good idea to keep separate.

I am sorry you still endure struggles from the things that have happened to you. It's amazing that things can be triggered long after. It is good tho, to have a safe, non-judgmental place to interact and share. This is what you have found with this community.

I wish you the very best on your continuing journey of healing.

Mary

:supportu:

Welcome @abhaya to After Silence.  I’m sorry for what brought you here but I’m happy you are here reaching out for support.  Good job taking this step in your healing process.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  I'm also a survivor of csa and spiritual abuse.  Take your time exploring here and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me.