Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Looking for help

Hi I’m 19 years old and I’m Saturday I was forced to sleep with someone I didn’t know. I’ve told my drs about it and am on a waiting list for counselling however I’ve been told I could be at risk for HIV and hepatitis C. It’s likely I’ll be put on tablets and have a vaccine however my concern is if I have anything do I have to speak to my rapist? He was a friend of a friend and I barely knew him so I don’t have a phone number or anything and I don’t want to tell this friend as she also attacked me Saturday night. I’m so upset and scared and unsure of what to do.

Hi MSmith,

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for the trauma that you recently went thru. This was not fair nor right. I am glad that you are taking steps to take self-care, it is often one of the most difficult things for a survivor to do after the trauma. Let me assure you, you owe this guy nothing. In fact, if the unfortunate circumstance comes back that you have contracted a STD, it is likely he gave it to you. The only reason you should ever have to come in contact with him again is if you decide to report him to the authorities. Do know this is always your choice and you will not be judged here based on that choice.

I am glad that you found our community. You will find much support and kindness. Do know you are not alone. Take your time and look around our site. Feel free to post or interact where and what you are comfortable with. I wish you many steps forward as you travel this path of healing.

Mary

:supportu: 

Welcome to After Silence.  I’m so sorry to hear this happened to you.  Some rape crisis centers have programs specifically for people who have been recently assaulted.  We have a list of resources or if you are in the US you can contact RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) for a referral.  I will link those two resources down below:

http://www.aftersilence.org/forum/index.php?/forum/102-public-resources/

https://www.rainn.org/

Also, please remember to be kind to yourself during this difficult time.  As far as whether or not you contact your rapist, I recommend you do what will keep you the safest.  If contacting him will put you in danger, it is simply not worth it.  You deserve safety.  Take your time exploring here and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me. 

Hello, I am Wanna. 

None of what happened is your fault. I second @8888, stay safe and prioritize finding support. 

Take care and know this community is here for you. 

- Wanna ☀️

Dear @MSmith,

Welcome to After Silence. 

I'm sorry for the trauma that brought you here and for the anxiety that comes with wondering if your health was compromised.  I am glad to hear that you've sought medical help.  After a traumatic even like assault, it's important to get help from people who can offer physical and emotional support.  

We also have a kind and supportive community full of people who are here for you and care.

Take care,

Gold Raindrops