Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Moving Forward

I am a long time survivor and I've had many ups and downs over the years. These days it finally feels like its behind me.

Its interesting and also frustrating that you can do the work and feel like you've moved forward, and then a trigger pulls you right back. For my sake, I'm goping to be through that now. I feel like I am.

I wanted to share a book that helped me. It's called "I'm Not the Only One". It was written by Tori Hill. She is also a survivor. What I liked about this book was that she went into some detail....but not too much. She didn't sugar coat her recovery and she also questioned societal norms. 

I had tried to find some books previously, but I didn't feel like I could connect with them. Either they were doom and gloom, or I just didn't really get them.

For those looking for some silent support, I'd recommend giving her book a try. 

All the best.

Hi Movingforward,

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am sorry you understand trauma, but am glad that you feel past it. Healing does have many ups and downs, you are right. The idea of more balanced life is one we all would love to achieve. Our group is a diverse group of survivors in many different places, where this balance is concerned. Books are often suggested back and forward on our site, but I'm not sure if I remember this title. Thank you for sharing it.

Wishing you well.

Mary

Dear moving forward

Welcome to After Silence.  I am sorry to hear of the trauma you have been through!

Being here has helped me so much.   Everyone is so caring and supportive here.  I am proud of you for reaching out.  I know that is hard to do.  I also know that you will find that needed compassion and support here within our community.  Know we are here for you and we will listen whenever you would like to lean on us.    

Take care and please do not hesitate to ask for any help if you ever need it.  

Thank you MovingForward20.

I just joined and am once again trying to begin my healing. I have been wanting to find books to read to help myself but have never known how to look and your recommendation will be my first. 

Take care.

Welcome @Movingforward20 to After Silence.  I’m sorry for what brought you here but I’m happy you are here reaching out for support.  Good job taking this step in your healing process.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  I know what you mean about triggers suddenly pulling you back and I hate it.  I'm glad you found a book that was helpful for you.  Take your time exploring here and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me.