Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi, from an overwhelmed newbie.

Hello everyone. 

This is my first time here, or anywhere similar to this, really. I've just come to remember my experience in the past week or so, but everything happened 2.5 years ago. Everything else in my life has come to a complete halt, except perhaps a few games/tv shows when trying to escape. (just in school for now but my summer classes are not going well at all, I am very behind). 

Also recently opened up to my therapist, but got a response I was not expecting and feel even more confused about it all. Looking here to open up and hopefully better understand what happened to me. 

Thank you for creating this space. 

Hi pnut,

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for the trauma you experienced 2 1/2 years ago and the struggles you are now facing. It is never right or fair for anyone to hurt you, as they did, and I hope you know you did nothing wrong. You will find tons of support here, as our members are truly a wonderful group.

Trauma can be difficult to process and I know many times we need distractions. I am sorry that your classes are suffering tho and hope they will get better as you go. Confusion is also common with trauma and I am glad that you have a T...she will work with you to make more sense of things. Do know you are safe here...and validated. You can share when and how much you are comfortable with, no pressure. Take your time to look around.

I am glad you decided to join our community and wish you the best as you begin this journey we call healing.

Mary

:youcanheal: 

Hi @pnut

Welcome to AS. I'm sorry for the trauma that brought you here, but I'm glad you found the site and decided to join. This is a wonderful, caring community and we are all here to help each other heal. Talking and sharing with other survivors can be helpful for the healing process and can help you feel less alone. 

It is never too late to being the healing process. It is normal for survivors not to fully process what happened to them until months or years later. The healing process can be hard, but you will get through it. Never forget how strong and brave you are. I'm glad to hear that you are working with a therapist. I'm sorry you received an unexpected and confusing response from them when you opened up. Hopefully, you can continue to talk with your T to try and get more clarification and some more support. 

If you have any questions about the site, don't be afraid to reach out. I wish you all the best and hope you end up finding this site to be as helpful as I do. 

Welcome @pnut to After Silence.  I’m sorry for what brought you here but I’m happy you are here reaching out for support.  Good job taking this step in your healing process.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  I'm sorry to hear you feel confused from therapy.  Sometimes certain therapists aren't a good fit for certain people so if you continue to feel uneasy perhaps you want to look for a new therapist.  Take your time exploring here and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me. 

Dear pnut

Welcome to After Silence.  I am sorry to hear of the trauma you have been through!

Being here has helped me so much.   Everyone is so caring and supportive here.  I am proud of you for reaching out.  I know that is hard to do.  I also know that you will find that needed compassion and support here within our community.  Know we are here for you and we will listen whenever you would like to lean on us.    

Take care and please do not hesitate to ask for any help if you ever need it.  

Dear @pnut,

I'm sorry for the experiences that brought you to us, but this is a kind and supportive community.  

I would agree with what others have shared and also encourage you to keep trying to connect in therapy.  I have found it to be very difficult to talk about, even with my therapist, who I like a lot, but I've learned to process what happened differently and get in better touch with myself.

Also, if you feel that maybe this particular therapist isn't the right one for trauma work, maybe think about finding one who is.  I don't recommend dropping therapists when it feels hard, but it is important to find one trained in this type of trauma work.

Wishing you the best,

Gold Raindrops