Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hello there

Hi After Silence community,

I’ve read through some things on this site, and I just want to start by saying that I’m so glad this place exists. 

I’m a 28 year old girl from Canada with a history of sexual abuse and assault. I’m very fortunate to have had treatment from an amazing therapist (CBT for PTSD, depression, anxiety, agoraphobia, etc), and to have friends and family (including my fiancée) that have always been incredibly supportive. I feel like I’ve done a lot of the “big” work in my recovery, but I’m not so sure I can ever fully recover. That’s why I’m here. My friends and family love me and listen to me, but they just don’t get it, no matter how hard they try. It can be frustrating for both sides. I’ve been feeling pretty desperate lately to find people who understand what it’s like to live with sexual trauma. 

Anyway, I think I’ve rambled enough here. Thinking of moving over to another topic area to talk about some stuff that’s been on my mind lately. Thanks for reading. 

Quirka

Dear quirka

I am sorry for all that you have been through.   You have been so brave in reaching out to us, please know that this is never easy!   We are all here for you and we want to support you.  You're not alone in your healing journey and are always welcome to lean on us for extra support.  You can post as much or as little as you like.  We are here to support you in the way you need.  I have found this community to be very helpful.  Everyone is so understanding and non-judgmental and I am hoping you feel the same way once you've gotten to know us a little.   

All my best,
missfrier

@Quirka Hello and Welcome! We are so glad you have found us :) I am happy to hear you have such a wonderful support system in real life. That is huge for anyone in their healing journey! "Healing" is something us survivors deal with forever. Sexual trauma is not something you can fully heal from I don't think. The wounds can become easier to tend to over time, but they will always be there.

I hope this site can bring you comfort in knowing there are many here who understand your struggles with this trauma.

sam 🖤

13 hours ago, Quirka said:

Hi After Silence community,

I’ve read through some things on this site, and I just want to start by saying that I’m so glad this place exists. 

I’m a 28 year old girl from Canada with a history of sexual abuse and assault. I’m very fortunate to have had treatment from an amazing therapist (CBT for PTSD, depression, anxiety, agoraphobia, etc), and to have friends and family (including my fiancée) that have always been incredibly supportive. I feel like I’ve done a lot of the “big” work in my recovery, but I’m not so sure I can ever fully recover. That’s why I’m here. My friends and family love me and listen to me, but they just don’t get it, no matter how hard they try. It can be frustrating for both sides. I’ve been feeling pretty desperate lately to find people who understand what it’s like to live with sexual trauma. 

Anyway, I think I’ve rambled enough here. Thinking of moving over to another topic area to talk about some stuff that’s been on my mind lately. Thanks for reading. 

Quirka

Hi Quirka,

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for your trauma experiences, but you have found a truly supportive community. The members here are understanding and kind. I do get it tho, that even with supportive people in your life, it is usually not fully understood. It affects us to our core and is not something so easily to get over. We fight long and hard to have more better days than not, but what was done to us can never be undone.

I am glad that you have found us and that you have decided to join. We understand and you are not alone in this. I wish you many forward steps in this healing journey and believe you will find many more happy days, and many less bad days.

Mary

:notalone: 

Welcome @Quirka to After Silence.  I’m sorry for what brought you here but I’m happy you are here reaching out for support.   Good job taking this step in your healing process.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  Take your time exploring and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me. 

Hi, @Quirka - 

Welcome to After Silence! I'm sorry for the trauma that you endured, but it sounds like you've done some good work in therapy and that's amazing! I know healing is a long, hard journey, but we are all here to support you on this road :) I promise you will find loads of support and comfort here. We are here for you! :notalone:

If you ever need anything, feel free to reach out to me! 

Hugs if you'd like them,
Poppy