Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

About me

Hi, I'm new.  I'm a little over a year out from what happened and just finalized my divorce about a month ago.  My family has a what's-the-big-deal/get-over-it attitude.  No one understands and it makes me me feel like maybe I am overreacting, maybe it was all my fault, what right do I have to be upset over this when it could have been so much worse.  

My therapist encouraged me to find online support, when I told her I didn't feel like I had the right to go to a group, like everyone would think I didn't belong because it wasn't "real" trauma.

I've been lurking around here for a while and everyone seems so welcoming and validating and I think I need you all.

Dear beesting

Welcome to After Silence.  I am sorry to hear of the trauma you have been through!

Being here has helped me so much.   Everyone is so caring and supportive here.  I am proud of you for reaching out.  I know that is hard to do.  I also know that you will find that needed compassion and support here within our community.  Know we are here for you and we will listen whenever you would like to lean on us.    

Take care and please do not hesitate to ask for any help if you ever need it.  

Hi @BeeSting

Welcome to AS. I'm sorry for the trauma that brought you here, but I'm glad you found the site and decided to join. This is a safe space and we are all here to support each other. You have every right to be part of this community. Trauma is Trauma. Nothing good comes out of comparing your experiences to another. Because at the end of the day you were hurt and treated in a way that you shouldn't have been and that's what matters. Please know that what happened to you was not your fault and you did not deserve what happened. You are entitled to your feelings and emotions. It's okay for your to feel upset. 

You will heal from all this. It will take some time, but you will heal. I'm sorry your family is not supportive, but glad to hear that you are going to therapy to work through some of this stuff. You are welcome to post and share on the site whenever you feel comfortable. We are all here for you.  I hope you end up finding this site to be as helpful as I do. 

Welcome @BeeSting to After Silence.  I’m sorry for what brought you here but I’m happy you are here reaching out for support.  Good job taking this step in your healing process.  I'm sorry to hear your family doesn't understand.  You aren't overreacting, your feelings are valid.  You are not alone and what happened to you wasn’t your fault.  Take your time exploring and post when you are ready.  If you have any questions feel free to message me. 

On 1/23/2020 at 3:22 PM, BeeSting said:

Hi, I'm new.  I'm a little over a year out from what happened and just finalized my divorce about a month ago.  My family has a what's-the-big-deal/get-over-it attitude.  No one understands and it makes me me feel like maybe I am overreacting, maybe it was all my fault, what right do I have to be upset over this when it could have been so much worse.  

My therapist encouraged me to find online support, when I told her I didn't feel like I had the right to go to a group, like everyone would think I didn't belong because it wasn't "real" trauma.

I've been lurking around here for a while and everyone seems so welcoming and validating and I think I need you all.

Hello BeeSting.

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for the trauma you’ve endured. It was not right, you were not to blame, and you have every right to be here. Survivors often feel that way. What happened to you does matter. You have every right to want healing. You are not overreacting, and you are accepted for who you are and what you’ve been through. We are here to support you. You are not alone. I wish you many forward steps on this path we call healing.

Mary

:notalone:

• 3 weeks later...