Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Difficult day today.  I'm in the midst of emdr treatment which is of course painful, and now the news about Epstein.  Feeling so sad and the childhood feeling of overwhelming defeat is welling up.  As a little kid, deep down I used to wonder, what if I did tell and what if no one did anything because the abusers were powerful grown-ups?   So I've decided not to follow the news about it, because I need to practice self-care right now.   

Dear emergingawareness:

I would like to welcome you into this lovely community.   We are all here for you!

I have been here for just over three years and feel that it has really helped me.  The level of support you will get is amazing...you won't ever feel alone.  Knowing how much everyone cares is truly helpful.

Well done for reaching out!!  You will soon receive an official welcome message in your inbox.  Please feel free to respond to that PM (private message) if you have any questions about the site or our forums or finding your way around.  There is always somebody willing to help!

Safe hugs!! 

Hi @emergingawareness,

Welcome to AS! I am sorry for the trauma that led you here, and I'm sure the Epstein case is triggering for so many survivors right now. You are not alone, and have reached a safe place. I agree with you that self care is important! I remember a few years ago when a news story triggered me and I kept hearing it everywhere. I have done EMDR as well and I know how intense it can be, but I hope it helps you, I did find it helpful after the intensity wore off. I hope you will feel free to take your time and have a look around the forums here, and share as much or as little as you like, we are here to listen.  I wish you the best in your path to healing,

g :aswelcomesu:

Hey @emergingawareness

Welcome to AS.  I'm sorry about the things that brought you here, but you have found a safe place.  The news is very triggering right now, and you are not the only one that is feeling that way.  On this site you can find the support you need.  We are all here to help each other through the healing process.  I'm glad that you are practicing some self care.  You deserve it.  I hope you end up finding this site as helpful as I do.  

Hello emergingawareness, how are you? I am sorry you experienced abuse when you were a child. It was not your fault.

I am glad you are getting help with EMDR. I hope this group will be helpful for you.

It is normal to feel the way you are feeling at present. It is wise to do what you can to take care of yourself. 

All the best.

On 7/9/2019 at 2:25 PM, emergingawareness said:

Difficult day today.  I'm in the midst of emdr treatment which is of course painful, and now the news about Epstein.  Feeling so sad and the childhood feeling of overwhelming defeat is welling up.  As a little kid, deep down I used to wonder, what if I did tell and what if no one did anything because the abusers were powerful grown-ups?   So I've decided not to follow the news about it, because I need to practice self-care right now.   

Hi emergingawareness,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for what you have been thru and the struggles you now face. It is so very not fair. You are not alone tho and will find tons of support here at AfterSilence. I do think we all wonder that what ifs. It can be difficult to process and I'm sorry you know this too well. As for news stories, they can be such a double-edged sword. Awareness needs to be out there, yet it can be very heavy and triggering to follow. Self-care is important, so I am glad you are doing what is best for you right now. I wish you the very best as you travel down your healing path.

Mary

:notalone: