Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi, I'm new here

Hi there, I'm so happy to have found this forum.  I'm 38, a correctional nurse, Mom, artist, would be poet, cat person, anxiety sufferer, who was raped by a co-worker I was seeing casually, last February, and I've just now reported to the Police and have pressed charges.   Just wading into the court proceedings, freaking out a bit, feeling like I've opened Pandora's box,  and worry that I've made a huge mistake now that I've started this ball rolling.   I'm hoping to find some support here, and that it will help me stay sane throughout this whole court process no matter how long it takes.  

I do have the support of my friends and family, and some co workers, but they aren't going through it, so their support is not quite all I need.

Thank you! Can't wait to get to know you all 

Welcome to After Silence, @Leda!!  I am so sorry to hear of what's going in in your world these days, and to learn of the trauma that has brought you here.  Court proceedings are NEVER easy but I truly admire your courage and strength!!!

You've truly found a loving, supportive space.  Our members are always willing to listen and many have been in the same boat in one way or another.  Don't hesitate to lean on us whenever you feel you are struggling...we are a community that understands. 

You'll soon hear from a member of our Newbie Support Team.  Until then, please know that I am just a shout away if you need any help finding your way around.

My best wishes to you,
Capulet

1 hour ago, Leda said:

Hi there, I'm so happy to have found this forum.  I'm 38, a correctional nurse, Mom, artist, would be poet, cat person, anxiety sufferer, who was raped by a co-worker I was seeing casually, last February, and I've just now reported to the Police and have pressed charges.   Just wading into the court proceedings, freaking out a bit, feeling like I've opened Pandora's box,  and worry that I've made a huge mistake now that I've started this ball rolling.   I'm hoping to find some support here, and that it will help me stay sane throughout this whole court process no matter how long it takes.  

I do have the support of my friends and family, and some co workers, but they aren't going through it, so their support is not quite all I need.

Thank you! Can't wait to get to know you all 

Hi Leda,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for what you have been thru. It is never right for anyone to hurt someone like this. You will find many members can relate to you and your struggles. You are not alone. Pressing charges is such a brave thing, I hope you know that. I do hope very much for you to find justice. You deserve that.

We have a variety of forums, including a the Legal System and Healing thru Creativity. Feel free to post there or in any of our forums, if you feel comfortable to. You are not alone. I wish you the best on this journey we call healing.

Mary

:notalone: 

Hello Leda, how are you? I hope you are okay. Welcome to the group.

I'm sorry you experienced sexual violence. It was certainly not your fault.

Reporting to the police was such a brave thing to do. It sounds like the case is going to Court. You have the right to speak up and seek justice.

It is normal to feel the way you are feeling. You are not alone. It is a scary experience to go through a court procedure. Do what you need to do to take care of yourself. Use your skills such as writing to help yourself. I wonder how your cat helps you. I used to have a cat and it was so helpful. He gave me company and knew when I was upset. Touching him was very grounding. 

Take care. I hope everything will turn up fine and you will find justice. :notalone: 

Hi Leda,

Welcome to AS.  You will find a supportive environment here and no one will judge you for how you are feeling.  Many members are going through or have experienced the court process and I know they would be happy to help you in any way necessary and to provide you with support throughout the process.  You are really brave and I'm glad you are reaching out here for support.   

I hope you find this site as helpful as I do.  

Dear Leda

Welcome to After Silence!!

I'm sorry for what you have been through.  I find it is easier to talk on forums then out loud.  Being here has helped me so much, even from the first time I ever posted.  It is still helping me - I have so much support here and I know you will, as well.  Here at AS, we are like a big family and our members are kind and non-judgemental.

I am sending you lots of safe hugs! :hug:

Take care!

Welcome, @Leda,

I'm so sorry for what happened to you.  It was brave of you to press charges and take your case to court.  There are many people here who can relate to how hard that is.

Wishing you many new friendships, comfort and healing.

Gold Raindrops

@Leda It is never easy reaching out... until you meet this awesome crew of people that are not only welcoming, but healthy in every aspects.  I am sorry for what brought you here but am happy that you feel confident to reach out!  It's never okay to be assaulted anywhere or even your workplace.  May you find solace and support within our healthy community to bring you a bit of peace.  Tell your story in your own terms.  We'll hold your hand while you do.

In love + light...

"2 Siamese"

Hi @Leda and welcome to AS. I’m so sorry about the trauma that brought you here, and the trauma of reporting and going through the courts. It all seems very daunting to me.  That all takes a lot of bravery so I just wanted to give you a high five or fiat bump and to tell you that’s I support you through all of this.

BraveOne

Hi, Leda: 

Welcome and please know you are not alone. 

I can relate to what you said in your post. I had a ton of anxiety and worry while I went through the court process. My court hearing was first scheduled in Sept. 2018 and got postponed 3 times before it was finally held in January 2019. Ten days later I landed in the hospital due  to failure for not  taking my blood pressure medication, and all the stress and worry I went through. 

Please know that court postponements are common and of course, frustrating. But I am here for you and  and will cheer you on. 

I applaud you for reporting the incident. I'm very proud of you. It's not easy. I reported my sexual assault by a neighbor 4 days after it happened. I was terrified traveling to the police station  to press charges. I assumed the police would not believe me. But I was wrong, the police believed me, the prosecutors believed me, I  told the truth and got justice in January 2019. 

Make yourself a promise that you will look forward and never look back. You have done the right thing. 

Hope