Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Here for myself and my daughter

I'm from an older generation, and denied I needed help to get past my experiences. Now I'm trying to help my adult daughter deal with some traumatic memories she's repressed, and I'm realizing how much opening up will help me too.

For now, she's uncomfortable speaking for herself, so I'm hoping I can get advice for how best to help her. 

I found you guys through Reddit, a place I find myself turning to a lot for support. I'm hoping a group with similar life experiences and struggles will be even more helpful. I'd like to think I might eventually be of some use to this community as well.

Hi!

Hello there, @Two of Us and a very warm welcome to you both to After Silence.  I'm so sorry to learn that both you and your daughter have experienced trauma.  I think it's truly fortunate that you and your daughter have each other to hold each other's hands through this healing path - there's truly nothing better than having someone at your side, who understands.  

I'm very glad you've found us, though.  This is truly a wonderful community filled with very kind, supportive souls and we're happy to have you.  Neither of you are alone.  I thank you in advance for the support you will provide as well - I absolutely agree that the sharing of your thoughts and experiences and feedback will be of great benefit to others who may be in the same boat!! 

Maybe someday in the future, your daughter will become comfortable with having her own account.  When that day arrives, please let me know and I am happy to help her register. :)

Again, AS welcomes you.  You'll be hearing from a member of our Newbie Support Team very soon.  Until then, please take your time to look around and if you have any questions or need help with anything, I'm just a shout away. :)

All the best,

Capulet

Hi two of us. Welcome to this amazing forum. You will l get so. Much. Support here  from members. We are like big family   here.    Hopefully when ur daughter is feeling.  More confident. In time she will. Also. Be able to. Reach out. To us for support   I'm glad. That  daughter has u. To support her.    This forum. Hd. Also. Helped me. So much.   And. Have always. Been there when.  I. Need to. Talk.  Or support 

I am sure you will be of tremendous help to us :throb: We all give and receive, and that is how we support either other. I am so sorry to hear what you both have been through. I am glad to meet you, though :)

Hello Two of Us, welcome to this group. I'm sorry you and your daughter experienced abuse. It was not your fault.

I think most of us go a through a period of denial. It is a way of protecting ourselves from overwhelming emotions I suppose. It sounds like you are ready to explore some of your issues. It also sounds like you are a good mother trying to support your daughter. I find that a good way to start supporting someone we love is asking, "how can I support you? What can I do?"

I wish you both the best. Take care. Healing is possible.

19 hours ago, Two of Us said:

I'm from an older generation, and denied I needed help to get past my experiences. Now I'm trying to help my adult daughter deal with some traumatic memories she's repressed, and I'm realizing how much opening up will help me too.

For now, she's uncomfortable speaking for herself, so I'm hoping I can get advice for how best to help her. 

I found you guys through Reddit, a place I find myself turning to a lot for support. I'm hoping a group with similar life experiences and struggles will be even more helpful. I'd like to think I might eventually be of some use to this community as well.

Hi!

Hi Two of Us,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for both what happened to you and your daughter. It is never right for someone to hurt another in these ways. She may not be ready to speak out, but she is very lucky to have you and you are in a position to help relay things to her. There are many here with many different backgrounds and types of abuses, but we all have that thread that binds us. We were wrongly hurt, struggle because of it, and search for ways of healing. Take your time and look around. I wish you and your daughter the very best and many forward steps in healing.

Mary

:youcanheal: 

Welcome, Two of Us.  I'm sorry that both of you suffered trauma.  I'm glad you found this forum and I think you will find it to be warm, supportive and helpful.  I believe any healing work a mother does will help her children, so I think you will be helping your daughter just by being here opening things up for yourself.

My best wishes to you both.

Hi @Two of Us and welcome to AS.  I am glad you found us through Reddit, but I am sorry for the trauma that both of you have experienced. It is very hard for anyone to open up about abuse and the secret wounds that we try to keep hidden. I applaud the bravery that you are both showing and I know the struggle of trying to learn to speak up about it it took me 10 years to finally tell someone and start the healing process, silence only delayed the inevitable and caused me years of pain, I hope neither of you experience that heart ache.  Thanks for joining and for support each other this way.

BraveOne