Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hello, I am a new member. I'm having difficulty finding specific topics or boards. I'm not sure of the forum and chat language so I'm learning as I go.  I just started therapy last week and even though she is a good therapist I feel the need to talk to people who have gone through similar experiences. I hope I can find that here.

Hi @VLX600 - Welcome to After Silence!!!!

Congratulations on your first post. :)  And congratulations on starting therapy - that is a very big, brave step to take!

Yes, you will find lots of support here.  After Silence is a truly wonderful community and the members are very kind and caring.  We are a safe, loving space and we sincerely welcome you.

You will receive a message shortly from one of our Newbie Support Team members who will best be able to assist with ANY questions or concerns with navigating the site.  Or, of course - I am just a holler away.

- Capulet

Hi, VLX600, and welcome! :wave: Everyone is very supportive here. It takes a while to get used to finding things and learning where everything is at. Take your time looking around and getting familiar with the site. We’re here if you need help. Good for you for starting therapy. That is a huge step in your recovery. :notalone:

5 hours ago, VLX600 said:

Hello, I am a new member. I'm having difficulty finding specific topics or boards. I'm not sure of the forum and chat language so I'm learning as I go.  I just started therapy last week and even though she is a good therapist I feel the need to talk to people who have gone through similar experiences. I hope I can find that here.

Hi VLX600,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for the trauma you've endured and the struggles you face, but you will find tons of support here. Our members are truly understanding and kind. Please don't fret, we were all new once. You will get the hang of the site rather quickly just by looking around. I am very glad that you have found us and decided to reach out. I wish you nothing but the very best as you navigate you journey of healing.

Mary

:youcanheal: 

@VLX600 Welcome to After Silence.  I'm sorry you experienced trauma, but I am glad you're seeking support.  I also find it makes a huge difference to be in contact with others who have experienced similar things.  And along the healing path there have been numerous times I am glad to find others who understand the particulars.  I hope your therapist keeps being a help as well.

:notalone:

Welcome to AS VXL600, 

I am sorry for the trauma that brought you here. Glad to have you regardless. I’m glad to hear that you found a good therapist that is important. Regardless of how you found AS I’m glad you did it’s a safe place full of people who care that have been through something similar.  Looking forward to walking down this healing road with you.

BraveOne

Hi VLX600! I am also brand new. I just wanted to say it's awesome that you are going to therapy and seeking out a community. I also joined, because I don't feel like I have anyone to talk to about this. My therapist is great, but he can only guide me so far on this matter. I hope we both find what we need here :)

Hi Notthesame907, I have been going to therapy for about a month. Even thought I told her what happened she doesn't seem to want to talk about it. She tries to teach me relaxation techniques and doesn't ask many questions. I'm not comfortable doing all the talking without feedback which is why I am here. I also started group therapy but it is for men and women and I'm not too comfortable with that but willing to try. I was able to repress everything most of my life but a few months ago I was in an accident and sustained a head injury and as a result I have no idea why but I can't stop replaying everything in my head. I just wish I could go back to being able to cope but here I am... Dealing with it. Is your reason for being here an old occurrence or something recent? Thank you for reaching out to me. I hope you find comfort in being part of this. 

• 2 weeks later...

Therapy takes time and every doctor operates differently. The one thing they all seem to have in common is that they want to start slow getting to know you before diving deep into issues. That being said, my therapist and I have been working together for quite awhile and while he will definitely listen and give advice on the matter where he can, he has clearly pointed out that he doesn't specialize in this kind of trauma. He gives resources appropriately, but ultimately I know he wants me to seek help from sources who can relate, or have appropriate training.

I had shrugged off what happened and honestly still have difficulty calling it what it is. It happened a year or two ago. For the last 8 months I've been in a relationship and I noticed what this forum calls triggers and I figured out that it was because of what happened in the past. So I knew I needed to work on it and come to terms. It wasn't however until my boyfriend moved in with me that I realized how badly I needed to figure all of this out. Going from long distance to living together means the opportunity for triggers goes up significantly. So that's what spawned me here. 

Also, sorry about the head injury! Hopefully you are recovering well otherwise?