Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Greetings :)

Hello everyone! I joined about a week ago and I have been exploring the site. I am so grateful to find such an open, supportive online community for survivors. I am truly impressed with this resource; it has been tremendously powerful to read about the experiences of others.

It is easy to feel isolated and alone after abuse, harboring deep-seated self-blame and shame, and many other complicated emotions. I have rarely been able to connect with other people who feel the same way, so thank you all for sharing. It means so much just not to be alone.

A little bit about me. I live in Washington state, USA. I am a twenty-five-year-old undergraduate student. I'm studying liberal arts, and I practice the martial art of aikido as well as Zen Buddhism.  I want to teach pre-K through 3rd grade. I love hiking and nature. I'm also interested in activism. I am a very calm, caring person but I struggle with anxiety and depression which often makes it difficult for me to connect deeply with other people, especially in person.

This site might be particularly interesting to me because I used to use online forums as an escape and a way to talk to people during the years that I experienced abuse. That's actually how I met my boyfriend! It is still very hard for me to talk to people about my experiences but I hope with the help of his community that I will be able to process and move forward. I don't want those people to still have power over me and my emotions.

In just the short time I've been reading your posts, I feel a new sense of strength and hope. I hope I can contribute to this wonderful project in service of those who need help!

Sending love and hugs! -violet

PS. I found this image online and it reminded me of you all :) Roots in gratitude, honoring our pain, seeing with new eyes, and going forth. It is a cycle. You are valuable and you deserve to live your life fully.

dandelionSpiral-hires-crop.PNG?format=75

Edit: I hope this post is not too sunny. It makes me feel better to express positivity, but I know many of our lives have been filled with anguish and hardship. I am so sorry for what everyone has had to go through to be here. But I also know that if you have found your way here, then you are taking steps toward finding healing. All I mean is that I wish everyone the best on that journey, and I look forward to growing together.

Edited by violet985

Hello @violet985,

Welcome to the AS community!  I am happy to hear that you have found a sense of hope and strength here already.  I love the dandelion image!! It's very positive and hopeful (and that is very ok! ) I can see that you are a really thoughtful reflective person,  and  I think you will find this a safe, validating place to share and be heard.  Please feel free to take your time and look around, there is no rush to 'tell all' right away. We are here to listen when you are ready.

I'm sorry for the trauma that led you here,  and I hope being here will help with your feelings of isolation.  I wish you the best in your healing !

:notalone:

13 minutes ago, violet985 said:

Thank you both @Free2Fly and @silentg.

I have finals next week so I will probably not be posting much for a little while, but I found that picture and wanted to share. 

:loveas:

Your welcome, good luck with the finals :) .

Hi Violet,

Welcome to AS. I am sorry you have a reason for being here, but I am glad you have found us. You have already seen the supportive and kind members posting here, and we are glad to add you to our community. It's wonderful that you want to share your positivity. It is always welcome. I wish you the very best as you journey down your healing path.

Mary

:aswelcomesu:

Thank you, @violet985 for that beautiful image and for introducing yourself.  I am sorry to learn that trauma has led you here but am glad to be able to say that you have landed in a safe place.  I can tell already that you are going to be a fine addition to our community and I am looking forward to getting know you. :)

Welcome to After Silence!

Best wishes,
Capulet

Hi and Welcome to AS @violet985! Best of luck on your finals and I look forward to watching your healing journey here. :youcanheal:

Dear @violet985,

I'm so sorry that you have a reason to be here, but you are right, you have found a safe and open community.  I think you will find many kind and empathetic people who understand what you've gone through and the feelings that go with it.  

Always feel free to reach out to us if you ever need anything and when you feel comfortable sharing.  We're here for each other.

Love,

Gold Raindrops

• 2 weeks later...