Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

New...ish!

Hello :)

I've technically been a member of AS for about 18 months, but I only hung around for a couple of weeks when I joined in summer 2017, because I wasn't really in the right place for dealing with/talking about things. I'm hoping to stick around longer this time, because I've finally got a really good therapist and I feel like I'm in a good position to deal with the effects of being abused. But it's really hard and I could do with some support.

In terms of other random things about me that are safe to put in an introduction on a public forum, when I'm not talking to people online, I'm self employed part time and a PhD student (on a subject related to trauma) the other half of the time, and I'm a massive nerd. I'm happiest when immersed in Doctor Who, bird watching, Star Trek, astronomy, Terry Pratchett...if you need someone to distract you from difficult stuff with a stream of rubbish about nature or Sci Fi, I am your person! 

Hi limetree,

Welcome back. I do remember you from when you first joined. I am glad you remembered us. I do think that happens sometimes, altho this site is very supportive with kind and understanding members, an individual has to be at the right place at the right time to find it useful. It isn't a negative on the individual or the site, it is just the way it goes sometimes. I am glad the you find it the right time and think you will find it beneficial to your efforts on this journey of healing. Again, welcome back and best wishes on your continued journey.

Mary

:aswelcomesu: back!!!

Hi, @limetree - welcome back to AS!  

Mary is absolutely right - sometimes we have to exercise self-care and to disconnect for a little while, just until we can sort out some stuff on our own. I've done this in the past and fully encourage that if it's ever needed.  I'm glad you remembered us, though, and have returned!  There is never a shortage of support that can be gained from being here, but I suspect you've discovered that, already. :) 

My best wishes to you. :)

Capulet

Hi @limetree, and welcome back! I am glad you have found a therapist you like and feel like you are are in a place to get into that work, it can be difficult for sure,  it's ok to take breaks too and wise to know when we are in the 'right place' for it or not. We are here to support and listen as you take the next steps or just to chat about birding or Star Trek!

Welcome back limetree, glad you've found a good therapist and feel you are in a good place to work on your trauma. Therapy is difficult and I hope you find the support you are looking for.