Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Good days & bad days

Hi all, I discovered this place in the early hours whilst recovering from a full day of body sensory flashbacks and ptsd. 

I suppose I best had start by talking about what happened, it happened nearly a year ago now. I'm gracing the good days with my full heart and savouring the comfortable mindfulness, when the bad days happen I tell myself there will be a better day and try to self soothe as much as possible.

I have a 6yo to keep me busy, he is my world. 

It happened at home and I'm still living in the same place currently, I would be interested to see if anybody else had this happen to them in their own home and have any advice on coping mechanisms.

Nice to meet you all, K x

A warm welcome to you @WaterfallSoul. I'm glad you looked for and found this place. I'm sorry for what happened that brought you here.  You are certainly not alone with the body flashbacks, PTSD, and being attacked in your home.  I personally was not attacked as an adult in my home, but you will find other people here who share that part of your experience.  

Hooray for your child and the joy he brings to you.

:aswelcomesu:

Hi my friend: 

i was a victim of marital rape. Yes it does happen in our home, where we should be safe. Some things that helped me: 

1. I rearranged the furniture in that room, new paint etc. 

2. On my bad days, I deliberately avoid that space. ( avoidance isn’t recommended but I’m human not a psychiatrist). 

3. Tea, so much tea. When I start to feel really stressed or PTSD kicks in, I drink my favorite tea. It’s soothing, I breathe deeply the good smell and then I get up: this is the important part 

move, go for a walk, reset your senses. You are not trapped, do move move move that body back to equilibrium. You are powerful, you’ve got this. 

14 hours ago, WaterfallSoul said:

Hi all, I discovered this place in the early hours whilst recovering from a full day of body sensory flashbacks and ptsd. 

I suppose I best had start by talking about what happened, it happened nearly a year ago now. I'm gracing the good days with my full heart and savouring the comfortable mindfulness, when the bad days happen I tell myself there will be a better day and try to self soothe as much as possible.

It happened at home and I'm still living in the same place currently, I would be interested to see if anybody else had this happen to them in their own home and have any advice on coping mechanisms.

Hi K.

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for the trauma you've endured and the struggles you face...include living in a home that the trauma took place. You have found a very supportive site tho, one with many understanding and kind members. Starting to face what we went thru can be the hardest, but most important step we take. I wish you many more forward steps as you begin you path of healing.

Mary

:notalone: 

Welcome @WaterfallSoul! We are happy to have you here. I am sorry for the trauma that brought you to us and wish you lots of courage in your healing journey!

:aswelcomesu:

On 12/18/2018 at 3:38 AM, WaterfallSoul said:

HI waterfallSoul,

I am glad your here but sorry for everything your going through. You aren't alone, one of the times I was attacked it was in my own home on a rare even of my being home, it was very hard to cope with I found sleeping in a different room helped but ended up moving to a new place within a years time. I can't imagine trying to work through that with a young child your a very strong person I can tell. I also had nightmares of him standing over me for years after they went away with a type of therapy called emdr if you dont know what that is its hard but its good I still have a lot of work to do but I am glad it was recomended to me. Anyways this is an amazing supportive place with a great community. Glad to meet you and looking forward to seeing you around.

BraveOne