Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hello, new here, this place seems nice :)

Tank Girl

Hia, just been reading some posts and you are all so supportive and lovely :) I am in the healing process, trying to get my life back to normal. Had some therapy to talk about things which was good for a while as I couldn't tell my friends what was really going on. At least not at first? I thought I was getting better but I think its going to be a long road =/ I want a normal sex life with my boyfriend where I dont get panic attacks half way through, I dont want to feel paranoid that my attacker will walk into my work place or he will be following me or anything.. survivors, does it ever get back to normal? 

10 minutes ago, Tank Girl said:

Hia, just been reading some posts and you are all so supportive and lovely :) I am in the healing process, trying to get my life back to normal. Had some therapy to talk about things which was good for a while as I couldn't tell my friends what was really going on. At least not at first? I thought I was getting better but I think its going to be a long road =/ I want a normal sex life with my boyfriend where I dont get panic attacks half way through, I dont want to feel paranoid that my attacker will walk into my work place or he will be following me or anything.. survivors, does it ever get back to normal? 

Hello,

welcome to as :) .

hopefully with time you will find that and feel what you think is normal.

the people here are very supportive yeah :) , it's a nice place to talk and not be judged.

as for "does it ever get back to normal?" Well for me I'm not sure but I guess it all depends on what your version of normal is.

anyway, welcome :) .

Hi @Tank Girl - welcome to After Silence!

You're right - you are in for quite the journey, but being here, I think, surrounded by such a wonderful, supportive community, is going to make an incredible difference.  I'm glad you've done some looking around and are already pleased with what you see. :)  I'm hopeful that you will someday make peace with all that you struggle with - it just takes time and lots and lots of patience. :)  

I think you're in the right place, though!  This is truly a safe space and I'm sure making some connections here will be a good start.

If you need help with anything, feel free to give me a shout. :)

Best wishes.
Capulet

I'm also new here and I agree, it seems like a really supportive, safe place where we can all talk things out.  Welcome :) I'll tell you that healing can have its ups and downs.  For me, it feels like I take two steps forward and one step back.  But things really do get better, I promise.  A year ago I felt so awful all the time, and now I am feeling happiness and somewhat safe again.  It's just about baby steps. 

Also, I view healing as a lifelong journey of improvement.  There might never be a moment where we say "I'm all done healing!"  Instead, I think we continuously get better throughout our lifetimes and grow as people.

I wish you all the best,

neri

Edited by neri
1 hour ago, Tank Girl said:

Hi Tank Girl,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for the trauma you endured and the struggles you still face. You are right, this site has supportive and understanding members. Personally, I think we don't get back to the old normal, but find a new normal that goes with the changes that happens to us once we are exposed to trauma. You are not alone in this tho. Reaching out is a big step. I wish you nothing more but forward positive steps on this healing journey.

Mary

:supportu: 

16 hours ago, Tank Girl said:

Hi Tank Girl, welcome to AS! I'm glad you feel you are in the healing process, it's good to have people to talk to who understand. I know what you mean about feeling it is a long road and you wish things would get back to normal!  I can relate to your anxieties, and those things sure can take a while to work through. Sometimes different types of therapies can help with that too, and the peer support here will hopefully at least help you feel less alone with it.  :supportu:

On 11/14/2018 at 7:06 PM, Tank Girl said:

Hello and welcome to AS. I am sorry for the trauma that brought you to us. I'm glad you found us and find us to be warm and friendly and supportive. I am told that yes you can get back to normal and it does take time and effort to get there. I wish I could answer the question about getting back to normal with sex, but I may have a bit of a different story then you so for years I was ok but I had pushed what had happened to me so far down I didn't tell anyone and even believed my lie that it didn't actually happen to me and so for 10 years I thought I was ok... Now 2 years into therapy I am finally getting back to normal again.