Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

New here...

Hi, new here.  Hoping to find some solidarity and get some answers to questions.  I’m so clueless.  It’s been over nine months now, but there are so many leftover unpleasantries.  I don’t even know what’s normal, or if there is even a “normal” in coping with this.  Also looking for input on healthy coping suggestions.  I’ve turned to alcohol a lot.  Anyway, thanks for reading.

Edited by SakuraIzumi
1 hour ago, SakuraIzumi said:

Hi, new here.  Hoping to find some solidarity and get some answers to questions.  I’m so clueless.  It’s been over nine months now, but there are so many leftover unpleasantries.  I don’t even know what’s normal, or if there is even a “normal” in coping with this.  Also looking for input on healthy coping suggestions.  I’ve turned to alcohol a lot.  Anyway, thanks for reading.

Hi,

welcome to the board, I'm sorry to hear your still being bothered by the unpleasantries.

as for normal well , one would ask how do u define normal?

the point is not to ask if something's normal mainly cause everyone copes definitely to each other.

still , welcome :) .

2 hours ago, SakuraIzumi said:

Hello Sakuralzumi, and welcome to AS!  I am sorry for the trauma that brings you here. I am not sure there really is a 'normal' - but confusion and difficulty coping are certainly very common responses to SA.   And 9 months, is not a long time.  Many of us are still coming to terms with events long past- not to discourage you, but rather to say, please don't beat yourself up if you're not 'over it' .   Healing is not a linear process, different things come up at different times, and although we all have our own struggles I think you will find there are also a lot of similarities. Being here helped me feel less alone and less 'dysfunctional'. I realize that this kind of trauma has a big impact on the mind, body and soul, and it sometimes doesn't go away by itself 'with time'.  Validation, solidarity, mutual support, and common experiences are what you will find here and that can go a long way towards healing. I wish you the best in your search for answers and healing.

Hi Sakuralzumi,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for what you experienced 9 months ago. You experienced what nobody should experience. You have found a very supportive site, with many understanding and kind members. My response to "normal" would be that what you experienced is un-normal, but struggles are not uncommon. But as said above, struggles can mean a variety of things to different people. Do know that reaching out is a big step tho, one of many I wish to you on this healing journey.

Mary

:youcanheal: