Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hello

This is the first time in 20 years I have had the courage to find other voices. I honestly don't even know where to start or what to say. I read other peoples stories and feel like my own story isn't worth telling. The current political climate has triggered flashbacks and I'm not sure I'm emotionally prepared to deal with any of it. All I know for sure is I still feel a deep shame and its like a stain I can't wash off. I'm hoping to gain strength and insight by joining this community and know it's a safe place when I'm ready to tell my story. I think you are all amazing and incredibly brave. 

Hello @dragonfly4 -

Welcome to AfterSilence!!!  It's very nice to meet you - I am sorry for the circumstances that have made you seek us out but I truly hope that you find there is an abundance of support and the members here are absolutely amazing.  

(I think you've already discovered that on your own, so I'll say I agree with you!)  

I am sorta, kinda keeping my distance from all the political stuff right now - I think I need to.  

The shame you feel is VERY common among many of us here - I do hope that while you cannot completely wash out this stain, you can eventually get it to fade.  We can certainly help you here - I am confident in saying this because this site has truly been a godsend for me in many ways.

Anyway - hang in there, and again - welcome.  If there's anything I can help you with, you're VERY welcome to reach out. :)

Best wishes.
Capulet

11 hours ago, dragonfly4 said:

This is the first time in 20 years I have had the courage to find other voices. I honestly don't even know where to start or what to say. I read other peoples stories and feel like my own story isn't worth telling. The current political climate has triggered flashbacks and I'm not sure I'm emotionally prepared to deal with any of it. All I know for sure is I still feel a deep shame and its like a stain I can't wash off. I'm hoping to gain strength and insight by joining this community and know it's a safe place when I'm ready to tell my story. I think you are all amazing and incredibly brave. 

Hi dragonfly,

Welcome to AS. I am sorry for the reason you find yourself here, but you will find tons of support here. As Capulet mentioned, shame is unfortunately very common in survivors. We often also think are trauma isn't as important as others...not true. You and your story is validated here. You are important and your feelings and struggles are important. You deserve to find a place of understanding and support. You are not alone. Reaching out is not easy, so consider this your first big step on your healing journey.

Mary

:notalone: