Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

New. Triggered by current events.

Hi I'm new here. I've got a story to tell that I have never actually told anyone before, and it has been many years since the incident and I'm only just now feeling like talking about it because of all of this stuff going on with Kavanaugh. Seeing people I know, love, and trust, defending this guy has made me realize I really need to talk about my trauma with people who will support me. I'll never, ever tell the people in my life who are the most important to me because I'm afraid it will totally destroy them and maybe even cause some stress related health issues in my older relatives, and therefore I feel like I'll just have to suffer in silence around these people while they spout off a bunch of crap about things they have no real experience with. 

Anyway, looking forward to posting and hearing what other people think about my weird situation. 

Hi SM, welcome to AS. The Kavanaugh case has hit home with many of us and triggering us. I'm sorry for the tramua you have gone through and that you had to keep quiet about it. You will find support here and you are not alone in this journey of healing. 

Patricia 

7 hours ago, SquirrelMonkey said:

Hi I'm new here. I've got a story to tell that I have never actually told anyone before, and it has been many years since the incident and I'm only just now feeling like talking about it because of all of this stuff going on with Kavanaugh. Seeing people I know, love, and trust, defending this guy has made me realize I really need to talk about my trauma with people who will support me. I'll never, ever tell the people in my life who are the most important to me because I'm afraid it will totally destroy them and maybe even cause some stress related health issues in my older relatives, and therefore I feel like I'll just have to suffer in silence around these people while they spout off a bunch of crap about things they have no real experience with. 

Anyway, looking forward to posting and hearing what other people think about my weird situation. 

Hi SquirrelMonkey,

Welcome to AS. I am sorry for the trauma you have experienced. I know how difficult it is to face after years of silence, but here you can speak your voice. There will never be judgment and your experience is validated. You were hurt and it is wrong. It can be hurtful and confusing when you hear people defending these monsters. Often these defenders snarl a "why didn't they come forward sooner". They are exactly the reason! They can be so blinded by the lies and not understand the weight the survivor has to bear. Most have no idea. I am sorry for what you've been thru and if anything, I am glad you have found us, despite Kavanaugh being the catalyst as the reason. Hopefully one day the tides will turn and people will see these monstrous actions for what they are. I wish you the best on this healing journey.

Mary

:supportu: 

13 hours ago, SquirrelMonkey said:

Seeing people I know, love, and trust, defending this guy has made me realize I really need to talk about my trauma with people who will support me

Yes! It is really important in these times, that we find people who will listen with a caring, non judgmental and validating ear. You are welcome here and we support you!  You are not alone with it.  And sometimes it helps me to see, that even though many people still defend Kavanaugh, there are millions of voices defending Ford as well, believing her. That gives me hope.   I am sorry that those around you are not supportive though, that really hurts, and must feel very isolating.