Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hey Everyone - Coming to Terms

bam2222

Hi all - just got approved and wanted to say hi. I'm recently coming to terms with things that have happened to me, that I had convinced myself were "normal." After going through pregnancy, childbirth, having a daughter, and pretty bad postpartum depression and anxiety, the reality of what happened to me is undeniable. For my children's sake and my own of course, I'm realizing that I've got to deal with these things I have tried for my whole life since to forget/normalize. I'm glad to have found this community and am hoping, in addition to therapy and trauma work, that it will help me understand and heal. 

Welcome!! Boy can I relate to your feelings. I too did the same thing for many years. I realized that I was only living half of a life though and I want to live fully. To really live! What an amazing community this is- you will feel supported and encouraged here by others who totally “get it.” It can be so uplifting as you seek your new normal. I am sorry you belong here but happy you have found as. 

4 hours ago, bam2222 said:

Hi all - just got approved and wanted to say hi. I'm recently coming to terms with things that have happened to me, that I had convinced myself were "normal." After going through pregnancy, childbirth, having a daughter, and pretty bad postpartum depression and anxiety, the reality of what happened to me is undeniable. For my children's sake and my own of course, I'm realizing that I've got to deal with these things I have tried for my whole life since to forget/normalize. I'm glad to have found this community and am hoping, in addition to therapy and trauma work, that it will help me understand and heal. 

Hi bam welcome to AS, I am sorry for the tramua that you have been through.  I found having my daughter's to be a big trigger.  I got through things with them, they are now grown women. You will find support here and you are not alone. 

Patricia 

Hi Bam,

Welcome to AS. I am sorry for the trauma you experienced, but this is a very supportive site. Our members are understanding and kind. I think many of us "normalize" our experiences, hoping they will actually become that. But being hurt is not normal. I think we all, sooner or later come to this point. My denial was for decades, but the effects were always present. I am glad you found us and know you are not alone. I wish you the very best on this path of healing.

Mary

:youcanheal: 

Hello Bam, and welcome to AS!

I am glad you found this community, it is a very supportive place. I'm a Mom too, and a big part of wanting to heal has been because I want to be more present for my kids.  I am sorry you also went through ppd as well as the original trauma/s.