Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

New to this

Redstar13

I have just joined and am looking for support from other survivors.  There is something to be said by talking to other people who truly understand what it feels like. I have not shared my story often, kept it locked away for over 20 years and I’m just now coming to terms with what I’ve been through. I have been learning that I sleep better and generally have less anxiety if I talk about it as hard as it is. 

Hi, @Redstar13,

Welcome to AS!  I'm so sorry to hear of the trauma you endured 20 years ago.  This is a safe place to meet survivors of all types - I found it to be a godsend so many years ago when I joined.  The people are kind, understanding and gentle - I think you will love it here.  Take your time to look around and get a feel for the site - I think you will see that many of us can truly relate.

Looking forward to getting to know you.  

Best wishes, and again - welcome.

Capulet

7 hours ago, Redstar13 said:

I have just joined and am looking for support from other survivors.  There is something to be said by talking to other people who truly understand what it feels like. I have not shared my story often, kept it locked away for over 20 years and I’m just now coming to terms with what I’ve been through. I have been learning that I sleep better and generally have less anxiety if I talk about it as hard as it is. 

Hi Redstar,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for the trauma that you have endured, but AS is very supportive site. Many of us, including myself, talk a long time to face what we have gone thru. I'm glad you think now is your time to start. It takes great courage to face it and reach out to others. It's one step of many I wish you on this path of healing.

Mary

:supportu: 

Hi there! I'm also new here but not a survivor. You'll find good people here with whom you can try and find some solace. You're in the right place.

Hello, and welcome! Talking can be both hard and helpful. I too have been about twenty years in working through my trauma. It is hard work, and what is important is not that we get through it by any sort of timeline, but rather that we give ourselves the time, respect, love, and understanding that we need as we travel our personal road of healing. I hope you will feel safe and comfortable here to open up to the extent that you want, so that you can find solace in sharing your story. You never have to feel alone here :)