Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

New: Hope Over Experience

Hase

Hello, I feel so ashamed, afraid, and alone. 

I feel a need to share my experiences in the hope that someone can understand and accept me.  I have many questions.

In real life, I have kept silent because I fear being judged, blamed, or rejected.  

I began confiding in a woman who loved me by asking, "How would you feel if I was raped?"

She replied, "You are such a good girl that I know that it could not happen to you."  So I said no more.

I wondered again if I had really been raped.  I already blamed myself for what had happened to me.

I still feel much more like a victim than a survivor (which is trivially true).

I hope that I can learn enough here to help make my future happier than my past.   Thanks for listening.

Welcome to AS @Hase. It was incredibly Brave of you to join and to make your first post! AS is full of warm friendly understanding people that are extremely caring and supportive. I am so sorry for the past trauma that brought you here. Your not alone in the keeping quiet many of us here have, myself included. Its ok to still feel like a victim we all go through our own unique processes and this takes time. Here at AS we are all on our own journey some may be a little ahead some a little behind where ever you are at on yours is 100% acceptable here, we are here to support and care for one another.

BraveOne

Welcome to AS.  This is an awesome community and the people here are very supportive.  You're very brave to take these first steps toward healing - and these are the hardest ones, too!

I hope being here brings you peace, comfort and healing in addition to whatever clarity you seek.

Best wishes, and again, welcome!
Capulet

Thanks very much for all the kind words and good wishes.

"Hase" means "hare" in German.  My personality has been likened to a rabbit's: gentle, sweet, timid, full of life and yet easy to hurt (sigh).

Many people look down on rabbits as weaklings.  Yet I admire them for being resourceful enough to survive in a world full of predators.

Nature has made many kinds of creatures, and I acknowledge that some of us have more reasons than others to be afraid.

"Brave" is about the last word that would describe me.  It actually can trigger me in a way when said in the wrong tone.

I did not resist, defending my "honor", like a storybook heroine should.  I know that I am vulnerable and violable, and I submitted to the man.

Sensing that I might be close to breaking down and crying (which could make him uncomfortable), he said, "Be a brave girl, my dear."

So I was able to hold  myself together and just become an actress to please him.  Then he told me, "Good girl!"

Now I can recall how and why I was called a "brave girl" and a "good girl".  Their meanings cannot be always the same for me.

Of course, I don't mind it when well-meaning people use these words as compliments to describe me.