Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi everyone

Hi everybody,

My name is Lottie and I found this forum recently when researching local therapists and support groups.

I'm a 28 year old gay lady originally from England, UK but now living in the woods of Arkansas, USA with my lovely wife and ever expanding animal family. 

I'm not sure how much is safe to say on this forum (I don't want to trigger or upset anyone!) but I experienced abuse during my childhood and throughout the vast majority of my teen years. It took me a long time to open up about what happened to me, but I feel really lucky to have an incredibly supportive wife and friends. I joined this forum to be able to be around other folks who have gone through abuse, to share experiences and know I'm not alone, because no matter how much the people around me love me they sometimes have trouble understanding how I feel or react to things. 

I'm really looking forward to spending time here and getting to know y'all, I feel like it's going to be really helpful for me. 

Blessings,

Lottie

Hi Lottie, welcome to AS :kitty: I'm so sorry for your past! You're definitely not alone here, and you'll hopefully find here plenty of kind and understanding people willing to hear you and also validation for your feelings.

I love the house in the woods thing! You, your wife and your furry babies :3

I love woods as well as nearly anything that moves that's not human, from scorpions, to fishes, frogs, snakes and horses, to my recently rescued new room mate. Name's Leo, he's a striped gray two months old kitten

@Ghostly Lilian thank you so much for your kind welcome :) 

Ahh, kittens are so lovely! Leo is such a good name for a cat. I recently rescued a puppy who is the same age, her name is Teddy.

It's good to meet another animal lover, especially who loves the animals that not everybody does, like scorpions and snakes. We get beautiful snakes out here, king snakes, water moccasins, sometimes even rattle snakes. We get lots of possums and armadillos around here too, which I think are super cute, and my wife and I saw a Bobcat a few weeks ago! 

Armadiiiiiilloooooos! :throb:_:throb: we don't have them here.

:bubble:jumping for snakes

When I was a kid (and adolescent) I used to catch spiders and scorpions and keep them as pets, inside glass jars. I obviously prepared the right environment for them and fed them. I also wanted to try with little snakes, but my father didn't let me :sweat:

Hello, @LottieAngelHeart,

Welcome to AfterSilence! I'm so sorry to hear of the trauma that has brought you here but I hope that being here brings you lots of comfort and healing.  You've already taken a huge step in signing up and introducing yourself, so pat yourself on the back - that's so incredibly brave.  This is such a great community and I'm hopeful that you like what you see here so far!

Your life sounds amazing!  I've got a similar one. I live with MY lovely fiancee in the woods in Pennsylvania. :)  We have five cats and my two kids (from a previous marriage) that I seem to clean up after MORE than the five felines put together. Haha.

Anyway, welcome.  Looking forward to getting to know you.

Best wishes,
Capulet

@Capulet thank  you so much for the warm welcome :) I'm already finding a lot of solace in reading posts and seeing the warmth and care that this community has for one another. I definitely hope I can add to that!

Yay for woods living! Gosh, I know what you mean about cleaning up after kids more than the cats, at least a little. I'm a nanny to a 15 month old and it constantly amazes me how quickly he can get into everything!

Hi Lottie, welcome to AS,  I am sorry for the tramua that you have been through. Like you I have a great team at home but it's nice to have people who know what I feeling or how bad a trigger can be. You will find this to be a supportive site. I am glad you found us.

Patricia 

Hi Lottie,

Welcome to AS. I am sorry for the trauma you endured, but do know this is a very supportive site. Our members are understanding and kind. Take your time and look around. I wish you the best on your journey of healing.

Mary

:supportu: 

Hi @LottieAngelHeart

Welcome to the AS community! I am sure you will find support, and validation here. I am glad that your wife and friends are supportive it makes a big difference, and it's also good to be able to share with others who get it and have been through trauma too.  

Hi @LottieAngelHeart, welcome to AS.  Sounds like you've been through a lot in your life and like you are a brave woman indeed to relocate to Arkansas that must have been a huge culture shock. A life time of trauma sounds really hard to so I am sorry you went through all of that. I am happy that you found AS, I like to think of it as my personal sanctuary on the internet, there is a lot here places to share, learn, vent, cry, share artwork, talk about religion, politics and to share  your story and a bunch of other stuff too. The good news is there is a really good team of helpful people to help guide you and there is forgiveness if you put something in the wrong place usually someone can move it for you or delete it if it needs to be. When you do share something you worry may trigger some one hit simply add a trigger warning or TW. Lots of helpful people here that are super supportive. Please feel free to look around get comfortable and start sharing at a speed that suits you! Welcome again looking forwards to seeing your posts.

One

@BraveOne thank you so much for your warm welcome and kind advice, I'll definitely remember that if I'm nervous about posting, and err on the side of caution if in doubt. 

The culture shock wasn't so bad, but I think it was because I was lucky enough to visit the US 3 or 4 times before I moved, so it wasn't totally alien to me. Also, where I live reminds me quite a bit of my home in England!