Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

New to using my voice

Hi Everyone. Thank you for giving me a place to use my voice, vent, feel less isolated and alone. I was sworn to secrecy as a teen, again in my marriage and now as I go through my recovery. I have counsellors, an understanding dr, but i still feel the need to say more, do more and reach out more. I refuse to be silenced ever again and have found that writing is my best recovery tool. I look forward to learning more about you ladies, gents and others and hope to regain my hope back - if that makes sense. Tired of pretending to be optimistic and "fine". 

Hi Optomisticlady,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry that you have experienced trauma and have gone thru the struggles that include remaining silent. Being alone and dealing with trauma is very difficult, I know. Good news is you have found us, a supportive site with many understanding members, and you had the courage to reach out. Reaching out is usually the first large step any of us can make. I wish you the best as you journey down your healing path.

Mary

:notalone: 

Hi, @Optimisticlady!!!  Welcome to AS!

I, too, am a writer rather than a talker. :)  It truly is my best recovery tool, too.

This is a fantastic site and I sincerely wish for your being here bringing you all of the hope you could ask for.  

Looking forward to getting to know you, too!

Capulet

hi Optimisticlady and welcome to after silence. 

i'm so glad that you have gotten to find your voice and so determined. It is so important. It's fine to be not fine here. no-one will judge, only offer whatever support we can

safe hugs if ok

17 hours ago, Optimisticlady said:

Hi Everyone. Thank you for giving me a place to use my voice, vent, feel less isolated and alone. I was sworn to secrecy as a teen, again in my marriage and now as I go through my recovery. I have counsellors, an understanding dr, but i still feel the need to say more, do more and reach out more. I refuse to be silenced ever again and have found that writing is my best recovery tool. I look forward to learning more about you ladies, gents and others and hope to regain my hope back - if that makes sense. Tired of pretending to be optimistic and "fine". 

Hi Optimisticlady welcome to AS. I am sorry for what brought you here at AS. Finding that voice is a big step and I am glad you found it. As you use it, it will be become more powerful.  I am glad you found our site.

Patricia 

Welcome to AS @Optimisticlady. I understand and can relate to the conspiracy of silence surrounding abuse. I am also a writer...writing has always been a healer for me as well. I get what you mean about the pretending...here, you don't need any masks, you can be you and feel how you feel. Glad to have you here and glad to meet you. :notalone: 

Welcome to AS. Your not alone in this. Sorry for the abuse that happened to you. I have found writing about it to be therapeutic for me as well. This is a great community of people all trying to heal its full of compassion, and understanding.