Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hello!

Jo-

Greetings and salutations.

My name is Jo. I own 7 pets. I have hundreds of books. I collect figures and small, dainty crystal animals. I'm an artist, a writer, and a published poet. I'm starting training to become a teaching assistant. It's be suspected that I was a victim of sexual abuse up to aged 6. And I was raped 354 days ago. Which is 50 weeks and 4 days. Or 8,496 hours. Or 509,760 minutes.

I tend to use numbers. It's easier than dates, especially when the first anniversary is just 11 days away. I also list things before I tell something so big, as you can see above. It distracts from the important part. I'm not sure who it helps more. Maybe them. Maybe it helps them to process that this happened to their best friend. To their cousin; to their niece. To their daughter. I don't know. I'm not very good with emotions; particularly others'.

My parents aren't supportive. They found out 160 days after it happened. I can't remember how many times they've forced me to go back to the place where I bumped into the guy. They've outright called me a liar. They threatened me with lie detectors. They've even tried to tell me that it's okay if I wanted it, that '18 is a respectable age to lose your virginity'.  I didn't 'lose' anything. It was taken from me.

My last psychologist said they are some of the most obstructive, invalidating people he's ever met.

No one besides a handful of people know about the suspected sexual abuse. Three of which are online, and one is a friend I've known for years. I actually have a query to put on here about it, I may ask later. 

I'm sorry this is so long. I have a propensity to ramble when I introduce myself, and clearly this post hasn't made a liar out of me yet. I'm glad to have found somewhere that is understanding and listens. 

Have a lovely day. 

Edited by Jo-

Hello Jo, 

Thank you for telling us a little bit about yourself!  You sound like an amazing person and I look forward to getting to know you.

Secondly, welcome to AfterSilence.  I am so sorry to hear of the circumstances that have brought you here but I do hope that being here brings you some peace and comfort.  You are not alone.  You are among friends and many here are in the same boat as you so I am fairly certain you will find this to be an extremely supportive haven.

Best wishes,
Capulet

@Jo-

Welcome to AS! I am truly sorry for the trauma you’ve endured. Very brave of you to tell us about yourself and taking a step here.  Here you will find your not alone and there is no judgement, just understanding.  I’m sorry your parents didn’t believe you and are not supportive.  Take your time look around the forums.  Say as much or as little as you like.  Best wishes on your healing journey. 

PB

@Capulet and @Painnbroken

Thank you both for the warm welcoming! The forums are full of such wonderful, brave people. I'm glad I've found this place when I need it. 

Stay safe and be kind. 

3 minutes ago, Jo- said:

@Capulet and @Painnbroken

Thank you both for the warm welcoming! The forums are full of such wonderful, brave people. I'm glad I've found this place when I need it. 

Stay safe and be kind. 

Jo welcome I am glad you found after silence. I am here for you. Safe Hugs if ok?:hug:

7 hours ago, Jo- said:

Greetings and salutations.

My name is Jo. I own 7 pets. I have hundreds of books. I collect figures and small, dainty crystal animals. I'm an artist, a writer, and a published poet. I'm starting training to become a teaching assistant. It's be suspected that I was a victim of sexual abuse up to aged 6. And I was raped 354 days ago. Which is 50 weeks and 4 days. Or 8,496 hours. Or 509,760 minutes.

I tend to use numbers. It's easier than dates, especially when the first anniversary is just 11 days away. I also list things before I tell something so big, as you can see above. It distracts from the important part. I'm not sure who it helps more. Maybe them. Maybe it helps them to process that this happened to their best friend. To their cousin; to their niece. To their daughter. I don't know. I'm not very good with emotions; particularly others'.

My parents aren't supportive. They found out 160 days after it happened. I can't remember how many times they've forced me to go back to the place where I bumped into the guy. They've outright called me a liar. They threatened me with lie detectors. They've even tried to tell me that it's okay if I wanted it, that '18 is a respectable age to lose your virginity'.  I didn't 'lose' anything. It was taken from me.

My last psychologist said they are some of the most obstructive, invalidating people he's ever met.

No one besides a handful of people know about the suspected sexual abuse. Three of which are online, and one is a friend I've known for years. I actually have a query to put on here about it, I may ask later. 

I'm sorry this is so long. I have a propensity to ramble when I introduce myself, and clearly this post hasn't made a liar out of me yet. I'm glad to have found somewhere that is understanding and listens. 

Have a lovely day. 

Hi Jo-,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for the trauma that you endured 354 days ago and the suspected abuse from your childhood. Do know that you have found a very supportive site and you are not alone. You are validated here, even if your parents are unsupportive. It takes courage to reach out to others. I wish you the very best on your path of healing.

Mary

:notalone:

@MeBeMary

Thank you for the reply and welcome. I’m glad to have found somewhere that’s full of wonderful, supportive people. :)

Welcome to AS Jo! I'm sorry about what happened to you as a child and at 18. I can relate to that. I can also relate to using different ways to soften the blow when telling people what happened. That is awful to hear about your parents. You deserve better than that. I am glad you found this site and hope it proves to be beneficial to you :):supportu: