Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

flashbacks

warrior76

Since i stop drinking, Ive had some flash backs of my assault, One was when i laid down to do sit ups and had a moment but those few moments were scary, I close eye's trying to think of something positive, it went away but left me in panic because  its something i had blocked many years ago and remembered at that moment. As anyone had those flashbacks. I starting to remember thing's..

12 minutes ago, warrior76 said:

Since i stop drinking, Ive had some flash backs of my assault, One was when i laid down to do sit ups and had a moment but those few moments were scary, I close eye's trying to think of something positive, it went away but left me in panic because  its something i had blocked many years ago and remembered at that moment. As anyone had those flashbacks. I starting to remember thing's..

First welcome to AS!  I’m sorry for the trauma you’ve endured and that your dealing with the after of remembering.  I too have block so much of my life and everything hit me hard in 2016.  I’ve done the drinking thing as well.  Panic attacks are extremely hard and exhausting and I’m truly sorry for this.  Flashbacks are hard to deal with as well.  Are you seeing a T (therapist)?   Just know you’ve found a safe place here where many of us can relate in our own ways.  You’re not alone with this.  Please try to be gentle with yourself.  Take your time and look around say as much or as little as you like.  Best wishes on your healing journey. 

PB 

Hi warrior,

Welcome to AS. I am sorry for the trauma you experienced, but please know you will find tons of support here at AS. Our members are understanding and kind. I am so sorry you are now struggling with something so scary. It is hard enough to deal with the aftermath of trauma, without new and intense memories and flashbacks. Do know you are not alone. Reaching out is a huge step to take, and I hope it is one of many as you walk down your healing path.

Mary

:notalone:

BTW...I love your user name. :) 

Hi @warrior76 welcome to After Silence!  It's really distressing when memories of trauma come back like that. I hope you will find a way to cope with this that is healthy. Way to go on taking a step toward healing and joining this community of survivors. You're not alone in this. :supportu:

Hi and welcome;

It is disturbing when memories return that way but it’s also ‘normal’ because the brain doesn’t process trauma the same way as other memories. It is upsetting and tough to cope with, you are not alone here as many of us understand what it’s like. I hope you’ll find support here and in your life. 

On 2/25/2018 at 8:37 AM, warrior76 said:

First of all welcome to AS.

Sorry for the trauma you've been through. I'm glad to hear you stoped drinking, that is really hard to do I know because I am 1 year sober. The flashbacks started sooner then when I quit drinking, but they are pretty common for survivors to have unfortunately. Everyone has different triggers for them they can be anything an emotion, a physical sensation, a smell, a slight shadow and the list coukd go on and on. Alcohol is a depressant so it helps to keep you numb to feelings I was self medicating and it wasn't helping me but when I stoped and finally started feeling everything again I felt like the world was gonna cave in around me. The good news is you have support here, lots of people to talk to about anything really. Lots of great advice and guidance from people that have been where you are but its also a chance to reach out and help others too. Welcome to the AS family.

One

Welcome to AS.  Flashbacks are very common and can be hard. As hard as it is try to remember this is not happening to you now,that you are safe. You have found a safe place here and you are not alone.

Patricia 

On 2/25/2018 at 9:51 AM, Painnbroken said:

First welcome to AS!  I’m sorry for the trauma you’ve endured and that your dealing with the after of remembering.  I too have block so much of my life and everything hit me hard in 2016.  I’ve done the drinking thing as well.  Panic attacks are extremely hard and exhausting and I’m truly sorry for this.  Flashbacks are hard to deal with as well.  Are you seeing a T (therapist)?   Just know you’ve found a safe place here where many of us can relate in our own ways.  You’re not alone with this.  Please try to be gentle with yourself.  Take your time and look around say as much or as little as you like.  Best wishes on your healing journey. 

PB 

Hey there and thank you so very much i needed to be on here and write about my flash backs its has been very fustrating. I try to hard to stay focus and no i dont have a Therapist but im looking for one.

On 2/25/2018 at 12:14 PM, MeBeMary said:

Hi warrior,

Welcome to AS. I am sorry for the trauma you experienced, but please know you will find tons of support here at AS. Our members are understanding and kind. I am so sorry you are now struggling with something so scary. It is hard enough to deal with the aftermath of trauma, without new and intense memories and flashbacks. Do know you are not alone. Reaching out is a huge step to take, and I hope it is one of many as you walk down your healing path.

Mary

:notalone:

BTW...I love your user name. :) 

Thank you for responding its taking me a lot to write but it feels good. oh thank u im gad u like my user name, we are all warriors 

3 hours ago, patriciag said:

Welcome to AS.  Flashbacks are very common and can be hard. As hard as it is try to remember this is not happening to you now,that you are safe. You have found a safe place here and you are not alone.

Patricia 

Thank u Patricia, They are hard and its harder because Im sober now, I drown myself away with drinking n drugs.