Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

My first post!

Hi folks,

This is the first online community I've joined in years. I had an intensely emotional day yesterday, and could hardly work today because of it (so maybe today was also an intensely emotional day...). So, I consulted my favorite psych- expert, Google.

I wish I had thought to google "online sexual assault support group" before today. From what I've seen, this forum seems really supportive and I've already read a couple of informative posts.

I'm excited to be part of this community because therapy seems somehow limited in what it can do for me. I'm not sure if it's because I am an extrovert or because speaking with men about sex scares me too much or because I crave reciprocity or what, but I am going to give this a try.

Thanks and I hope everyone is having a nice week,

Courage 2018 (pronounced the French way for fun and sentiment, i.e. Cor-ahj)

Hi Courage welcome to AS. You found AS the same way I did Google it. I am glad you found us. I am sorry for the  trauma you have gone through. I have been to T and still am, they are good but there is something about someone knowing how I feel. They underdstand, you will find support here for me the best feeling was I wasn't alone anymore. :aswelcomesu:

Patricia

Hello and welcome to AS, Courage!

I am glad you found us!  There is something different about peer support that I think a lot of us here really benefit from, like Patricia said, feeling less alone and among people who can understand and relate, who will believe and validate your experiences and emotions;  it has been really helpful for me, and I hope it will be so for you too.  I've gotten a lot out of working with my therapist as well, but the community here is very special, and what you said about reciprocity really resonates with me too.  I did find talking about things here first,  often helped me open up in other places in my life.

7 hours ago, Courage2018 said:

Hi folks,

This is the first online community I've joined in years. I had an intensely emotional day yesterday, and could hardly work today because of it (so maybe today was also an intensely emotional day...). So, I consulted my favorite psych- expert, Google.

I wish I had thought to google "online sexual assault support group" before today. From what I've seen, this forum seems really supportive and I've already read a couple of informative posts.

I'm excited to be part of this community because therapy seems somehow limited in what it can do for me. I'm not sure if it's because I am an extrovert or because speaking with men about sex scares me too much or because I crave reciprocity or what, but I am going to give this a try.

Thanks and I hope everyone is having a nice week,

Courage 2018 (pronounced the French way for fun and sentiment, i.e. Cor-ahj)

Hi Courage (Cor-ahj),

Welcome to AS. I love your name, any way you pronounce it :) .  I am very sorry for the reasons you found yourself googling support (same as Patricia, myself, and many others here), but do know you will find tons of support. Our members are very kind and understanding. I am also glad you are finding how informative the site can be. I must admit, I was naive on so much before coming here, which is such an added benefit. I am very happy you found us in our little corner of the web. I wish you the very best on your journey of healing.

Mary

:supportu: 

HI there. 
Welcome to AS. 
Very nice to meet you. 
I pray you find what you need and make fab friends. 
My name is ~FOUND~

• 2 weeks later...