Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi,

This is all quite new for me. Even though this is internet and I'm behind a computer, sharing my experience is still quite intimidating. Plus, internet can be mean.

The assault happened about 10 years ago, at a church. I was too young to understand, but the experience haunts me none the less. What's worse is I found out later on that he assaulted another girl at a different place. Logically I understand that I'm not responsible for his action; but I can't help but feel that my silence came with a price. 

I'm working on putting this behind me and moving on. However, it is really difficult. I feel like I see him at every street corners. And sadly, sometimes I do. 

I'm not sure how this site and community is supposed to work. But here I am. 

Thank you

I'm honored to be the first to welcome you here.  We are a wonderful community filled with supportive people always willing to lend an ear, shoulder, hug, you name it.  Everything is done at your own pace.  That is really all there is to it.  I agree with you though, the internet can be a cruel place but we have administrators and moderators here at AS to help keep this a safe haven.  You can reach out to any of them if you ever run into a problem or something doesn't feel right! :) 

Sorry to hear of the circumstances that brought you here but am glad to see you are taking steps toward healing and recovery.

Again, welcome.

Capulet

5 hours ago, Soatsaki said:

Hi,

This is all quite new for me. Even though this is internet and I'm behind a computer, sharing my experience is still quite intimidating. Plus, internet can be mean.

The assault happened about 10 years ago, at a church. I was too young to understand, but the experience haunts me none the less. What's worse is I found out later on that he assaulted another girl at a different place. Logically I understand that I'm not responsible for his action; but I can't help but feel that my silence came with a price. 

I'm working on putting this behind me and moving on. However, it is really difficult. I feel like I see him at every street corners. And sadly, sometimes I do. 

I'm not sure how this site and community is supposed to work. But here I am. 

Thank you

Welcome to AS!  I am so sorry for what had happened to you and know this is not you fault this is on him.  Many people remain silent for many different reasons, your not alone with that. I am also sorry that you've seen him sometimes. I know how hard that is. I do understand how difficult that is.  Yes it can be very intimidating just take your time and say as much or as little as you like.  There is no rush here and you will not be judged.  Take your time and look around.  Your not alone here at all many people can relate.  You will find friendly and helpful folks here.  Best wishes on your healing journey. 

PB

Hi Soatsaki,

Welcome to AS :hi:  I agree, the internet can be mean, but it's not like that here, there is a strong community and we support each other and the moderation keeps us safe. 

I am really sorry for what you went through and that you still have to see your assailant. It is not your fault if he assaulted someone else, he is the aggressor, he makes the bad choices to hurt others.  Many of us remain silent for a lot of good reasons.  We may not have had control over what happened but we do get to control when, where and with whom we share our story, and there are a lot of good reasons to be careful when sharing.

This site works by sharing and supporting each other. There are a few guidelines about posting that you can read above and in the various sections, and if you have any questions just ask  we are here to support you.

Hi Soatsaki,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for the trauma you have endured. It was wrong for anyone to hurt you like this and it was not your fault. You are not responsible for what this monster did to you or anyone else. Many of us are manipulated or intimidated into silence. Many of us are embarrassed or afraid of not being believed. Unfortunately this happens too often. I understand the difficulty of moving on, but do know you are not alone. You will find tons of support. Take your time and look around. When you are ready, post or respond, as you like. You will never be pressured and you will never be judged. I wish you the best as you walk down this healing path.

Mary

:notalone: 

• 1 month later...

Hi there.

Welcome to AS.

Very nice to meet you. 

I pray you find what you need and make fab friends. 

My name is ~FOUND~