Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Flori Introduction

Flori

Hello, I'm Flori.

I don't exactly know what to write or how to even begin my story. I guess, I came seeking a safe place after all of the "Me Too" posts started circling around social media.

For those who don't know: because of all these women coming forward about their sexual assault towards certain celebrities, people are taking to facebook and posting "Me Too" if they've ever been a victim of sexual harassment/abuse. This is meant to show the vastness of the issue. 

I didn't post, and I never would because I'm not ready to let that part of my life out in to the general masses... but seeing all these public "announcements" of abuse/harassment so simply put and blunt, triggered panic in me, and almost anger. Anger I think because I find social media such a selfish place, and these people are only posting for sympathy or attention (I know it's totally not the case, but my mind wanders there). More angry that this has lumped harassment and abuse into one simple two-word declaration. Angry that a cat-call has the same potency as a R***? Again, I know there are some making these posts that have genuine feelings put into them. That it's therapeutic or healing to come forward to family and friends, and I feel for them so greatly my heart hearts. But there are some who don't know the fear I have, or the pain, or the guilt, or the mental issues that come from a little more than a cat-call out a car window. Now, I have panic and fear because it has brought back memories for me, and KEEPS bringing back memories every time I see one of those gosh "me too"'s... 

So I've come here. I'm ready to speak about my story, and work through things that I should have been working on the last 10 years. Instead I buried them, pretended and denied my feelings. I can't do that anymore. 

Edited by Flori

Hi Flori,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for the trauma you have endure, but you will find tons of support here at AS. I am sorry that this Me Too media blitz has triggered you. I think we all react very differently. Some people find this movement empowering, as it finally does give a voice to an issue that sometimes people ignore. This does not account for people who are attention seeking and want to be apart of a current fad. It is not a fad, it is an issue.  I understand your suspicion, because some people just like to be in the middle of anything, but I also understand statistics. I tend to wonder who "supports" instead of reveals their true trauma. I guess the whole social media thing can be a tricky thing.

Again, I am sorry that it triggers you, but do wish you the best here at AS. I know it's not easy to reach out after some time (it was 30+ years for me), but it is a big step...one of many I wish for you on this journey of healing.

Mary

:supportu:

Hello flori and welcome to AS!  I am truly sorry the trauma you’ve endured. You’ve found a safe place and a place we’re many can relate. You will find support here and with out judgement. Best wishes on your healing journey. 

PB

Hi Flori!

I'm new here too, but I just wanted to let you know that I also struggled with the "me too" posts.  First, like you, I didn't want to be so public with my story.  Perhaps someday in the future there will be a platform that I'd be comfortable sharing on, but this didn't feel like the right place for me.  Secondly I also struggled with the lumping together of abuse and harassment.  I've had both.  Because of my past abuse just a mild form of harassment can be a trigger for me. But it was through this movement that I found out that a relative of mine also went through abuse.  I had no idea.  So while I can see some good in that others are finding their voice through this, I also know that it isn't for everyone (me included).  

I do hope that you can find support here at AS and a safe place to use your voice.

Tigerswallotail

Thank you all so much for the responses! I can't tell you how comforting is it to know I'm not alone, and that there are such kind people out there. I know it's a silly little introduction post, but you've already made me feel so welcome. 

Thank you.

@Flori Welcome to AS. Many of us got triggered by the #metoo movement in some way or other. I am sorry it has affected you, too, but I am glad you found AS. This is a wonderful place full of amazing people. It's never too late to start on this healing journey. I waited 10 years before I was ready to start too. Introducing yourself here is a huge step, not a silly little thing. It takes courage. Hope you find lots of support here. :)

Hi Flori, and welcome to AS! I am glad you found us, it is truly a safe space to talk about your feelings.  Many here have feelings about the #metoo campaign and it has triggered a lot of survivors. I arrived here four years ago because old memories were triggered by a previous media frenzy. you will find validation and support here.:notalone:

Hello Flori, and welcome to the AS family, it took guts to post this you should be proud. Im sorry for the trauma youve had to endure amd that youve kept silent about amd even that the me too thing triggers such a response your not alone there. Glad to meet you.

• 1 month later...

HI there. 
Welcome to AS. 
Very nice to meet you. 
I pray you find what you need and make fab friends. 
My name is ~FOUND~