Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

New Here

I'm not quite sure how these things go so I'm just going to put a little blurb up before going into work. I'm a uni student that was assaulted by a close family member from the ages of 8 and 10, roughly. I've struggled with depression and anxiety heavily because of it. A good friend of mine suggested this as a place to start because I'm nervous about starting counseling again. My parents also blame me for it happening and offer no support emotionally and financially. 

Hi Raven,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for the trauma you endured when you were younger and I am also sorry that your parents are not supportive of you. You did nothing wrong and deserve their understanding and support. It is not unusually to struggle because of the abuse we live thru. I am glad your friend suggested our site to you. You will find tons of members who are understanding and kind. You are not alone. I do wish you the very best on your healing journey.

Mary

:supportu: 

3 hours ago, Ravenclaw_nerd said:

I'm not quite sure how these things go so I'm just going to put a little blurb up before going into work. I'm a uni student that was assaulted by a close family member from the ages of 8 and 10, roughly. I've struggled with depression and anxiety heavily because of it. A good friend of mine suggested this as a place to start because I'm nervous about starting counseling again. My parents also blame me for it happening and offer no support emotionally and financially. 

Welcome to AS Raven. Congratulations for taking the huge step on joining AS and the even bigger step to say hi. I'm sorry to hear about the trauma that brought you here, please know its not your fault you were a child and that was on whomeever it was that hurt you. I'm sorry your parents blame you, mine also blame me for things I had no control over. It takes time to heal, no one seems to know how long but I know it'll happen for all of us.

One

I'm so sorry your parents offered no support and I'm so sorry that a family member hurt you. I'm glad you have a friend who may understand knowing that she shared this site with you. So many safe hugs. 

17 hours ago, Ravenclaw_nerd said:

Welcome to As!  I'm sorry for the trauma you've experienced.  I'm also sorry that you're parents blamed you for what had happened and you do not have any support.  One thing you will find here is support it's not the same of having in person but you will get all the support you need from all of us here.  Take your time say as little or as much as you like. Best wishes on your healing journey. 

PB

Hi @Ravenclaw_nerd, welcome to AS. It's really tough to endure both the trauma of being abused and then the secondary trauma of being blamed for it by those who should protect, support and comfort you. I am glad you found AS as many of us can relate and support you in dealing with what you've been through and continue to struggle with.

6 hours ago, Painnbroken said:

Welcome to As!  I'm sorry for the trauma you've experienced.  I'm also sorry that you're parents blamed you for what had happened and you do not have any support.  One thing you will find here is support it's not the same of having in person but you will get all the support you need from all of us here.  Take your time say as little or as much as you like. Best wishes on your healing journey. 

PB

I have some support through a few close friends. But no one lives close to me, they're all out of state. 

Welcome to AS @Ravenclaw_nerd, I am so sorry you were assaulted as a young child and that your parents blame you...that makes zero sense to me but it is unfortunately very common :( I am glad that your friend suggested you come here for support. This forum is very supportive and warm and no one here will ever blame you for what happened to you. :supportu:

• 2 weeks later...