Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi there,

I am so happy to have found this place on the internet thanks to a kind person on the Inspire Community, which is also a great place for support...I am currently recovering traumatic memories from my childhood (which include sexual abuse), so it is a very hard time for me. That has happened before for me, but always in the past it was accompanied by severe mental illness, so I eventually wrote the memories off as "illness." However, now I am quite in remission from mental health problems, and the same stuff is coming up again. 

I could use all the support I can get at this time, as I have a terrible support network and can't tell most of my family members about this all. For, the first time I came out about the sexual abuse--years ago, when I was not well--my whole family turned their backs on me. I can't risk that happening again because of how much pain it caused me and because my mother pays my medical bills and prescription copays, still. 

Blessings,
Karen

Hello Karen,

Welcome to AS. I am so sorry for the trauma you've experienced. I am sosorry that you have recovering memories of your past return. I can so relate to that.   No one had that right to harm you in any way.  I do hope you know this is NOT your FAULT In any way. You will find that everyone here is friendly, supportive and there is no judgement at all. Your not alone here and many can relate.  Take your time to look around and say as much or as little as you like. Best wishes on your healing journey.  

Best wish,

PB

Edited by Painnbroken

Hi Karen. I am so sorry for what happened to you and that your family turned away from you at this time of need. I'm glad you are in remission, that had to take a lot of work, good for you. 

You have found a great place to talk, so much support to be found here and it's so open. It's a really great place. 

Safe hugs if that is okay. 

1 hour ago, Anonymous75 said:

Hi there,

I am so happy to have found this place on the internet thanks to a kind person on the Inspire Community, which is also a great place for support...I am currently recovering traumatic memories from my childhood (which include sexual abuse), so it is a very hard time for me. That has happened before for me, but always in the past it was accompanied by severe mental illness, so I eventually wrote the memories off as "illness." However, now I am quite in remission from mental health problems, and the same stuff is coming up again. 

I could use all the support I can get at this time, as I have a terrible support network and can't tell most of my family members about this all. For, the first time I came out about the sexual abuse--years ago, when I was not well--my whole family turned their backs on me. I can't risk that happening again because of how much pain it caused me and because my mother pays my medical bills and prescription copays, still. 

Blessings,
Karen

Hi Karen,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for the trauma that you endured and are now processing. The mind can be a very tricky thing and memory issues are all to common among survivors, so do know you are not alone. Many time mental health issues go hand in hand with being a survivor. It's not right, it's not fair, but we must do all we can to fight for ourselves, because no matter what anyone says, we are worth it. I am sorry you lack the support from your family, but do know you have tons of support here. I wish you well as you journey down your healing path.

Mary

:notalone:

6 hours ago, Anonymous75 said:

Hi there,

Blessings,
Karen

Welcome to AS Karen,

:aswelcomesu:

sorry to hear they turned their backs on you.

7 hours ago, Anonymous75 said:

Hi there,

Blessings,
Karen

Hi Karen, welcome! I'm glad someone told you about this forum, it has been a great source of support for many members here including myself. I am sorry that you have traumatic memories from your childhood, I also am recovering mine. It's not easy to deal with the emotions that are stirred up when remembering, finally. Really glad to hear you are in remission :) I'm sorry that you don't have a good support network in your family - I can also relate to that. It can be very difficult to know that you cannot talk about your pain to the people who should want to be there and support you. I have found a new family here on this site. I wish the best for you as you navigate this forum, hopefully you will find exactly what you are seeking here. :aswelcomesu::notalone:

Hi Karen, welcome to AS, although I'm sorry for what brings you here.  Recovering memories is difficult work and can be scary and unsettling to say the least. A lot of us can relate to not having a great support network in real life, I'm sorry you don't have more people too. I hope you will find that suppor here as it is a very supportive place and for many has become like a chosen family. :notalone:

HI Karen welcome to AS.  It is hard to deal with things from our past. Harder still if we don't have the support.  You will find lots of support here. Take your time to look over the site and :notalone:remember

Thank you all so much for your kindest words! Some good news is that I seem to have finally found the right therapist to help me through all of this! What a grand relief (big sigh). 

Thanks again,

Karen

3 hours ago, Anonymous75 said:

Thank you all so much for your kindest words! Some good news is that I seem to have finally found the right therapist to help me through all of this! What a grand relief (big sigh). 

Thanks again,

Karen

This is really great! I am happy for you, Karen :) 

@Anonymous75 Welcome to AS also glad you found us, so sorry your family turn their back on you rather than acknowledge the truth. and that you have experienced such trauma. sorry no support network , I find I isolate and withdraw often general public say very hurtful things but on here people have walked in similar moccasins.

the truth shall set you free, many people do not like to hear about painful realities .

Happy you found right T.:) :bighug:

Edited by oceonwaves
add