Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

*waves hi*

Hello :)

I'm not sure what I can post here, being a public forum, but it also seemed polite to introduce myself before turning up in other places. I'm in my 30s, have a long history of mental health trickiness related to the reasons for being here, and I'm also autistic, so if I say things that seem a bit random please feel free to prod me into explaining, because often things make much more sense in my head than they do in the words I use! 

In lots of ways my life is quite good right now - I'm happily married to a fellow survivor who is really supportive and lovely, doing great in a postgraduate degree I'm finishing off, self employed and my business is doing okay, and I never thought I would have any of these things a few years ago because I've been really unwell with PTSD and anorexia. But stuff still keeps intruding on my life and I'm trying to work through it so I'm less likely to keep having big breakdowns every few years - hence joining these forums.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all :)

@limetree

Welcome to AS! I'm sorry for the trauma you've experienced.  Take your time look around say as much or as little as you like.  Everyone here is very supportive and there is no judgement.  I wish you the best on your healing journey. 

Welcome, my. Either has aspergers so I understand a bit from the other side. I also coach autistic kids! I understand! Again from the other side! 

If you don't mind my asking, what are you getting your degree in? I want to get my doctorate but I'm struggling with school right now. I'm taking this semester off and maybe also fall semester too. 

Im sorry for what brought you here but it's a good place to come!

Welcome to AS. I'm sorry you needed to seek out a place like this, but it's a really supportive community and I'm glad you found it. Congrats on getting close to finishing your degree, also!

Thanks for the welcome everyone :) 

@Bluesclues - I'm doing a Masters of Research in psychology at the moment, and looking for research jobs/PhDs related to autism. I dropped out of university multiple times before graduating from my undergraduate degree three years ago, so it's good to be completing things these days. It's a great idea to take time out when you're struggling though, I would still do the same thing if my mental health or life started getting in the way of studying again. I hope things get better for you soon!

12 hours ago, limetree said:

I'm not sure what I can post here, being a public forum, but it also seemed polite to introduce myself before turning up in other places. I'm in my 30s, have a long history of mental health trickiness related to the reasons for being here, and I'm also autistic, so if I say things that seem a bit random please feel free to prod me into explaining, because often things make much more sense in my head than they do in the words I use! 

In lots of ways my life is quite good right now - I'm happily married to a fellow survivor who is really supportive and lovely, doing great in a postgraduate degree I'm finishing off, self employed and my business is doing okay, and I never thought I would have any of these things a few years ago because I've been really unwell with PTSD and anorexia. But stuff still keeps intruding on my life and I'm trying to work through it so I'm less likely to keep having big breakdowns every few years - hence joining these forums.

Welcome to AS @limetree

:) 

15 hours ago, limetree said:

Hi limetree,

Welcome to AS. I am sorry for the trauma that you experienced, but you will find this a very supportive site. I do not think of what you call in randomness in speaking will a problem on this site, but I am sure if anyone is unsure on something they will ask. I think we all go thru this a bit, and we all understand and support each other regardless. I am happy that you have good things going on in your life, but understand the struggles that seem to return with trauma. It can be difficult, but the best thing about this place is you are understood and you aren't alone. I'm glad you have reached out to us and wish you the best on this healing journey.

Mary

:youcanheal: 

Hi and welcome. I am sorry you have a reason to be here but you will find this to be a supportive place. If you have any questions or just wanna chat, feel free to pm me, my inbox is always open.