Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

I'm new here

Hello, I am new on this forum and not really sure where to start. I'm very nervous about sharing, but want to connect with those who have been through similar trauma. I have some support in real life, but it's hard for them to understand what I am going through and I am apprehensive about sharing the true extent of my inner struggles with them.

Hi there, 

I can definitely relate to feeling like the people in your support system don't understand what you're going through. Sorry about whatever brought you here :(. I haven't been here long, but I was nervous too. What I have shared has helped a bit. Take your time with sharing and responding to other posts. You're in a good place, but sharing and/or reading too much too soon can be triggering and retraumatizing in its own right. I'm here if you need a friend and want to talk :)

5 hours ago, Wifey 147.3 said:

Hello, I am new on this forum and not really sure where to start. I'm very nervous about sharing, but want to connect with those who have been through similar trauma. I have some support in real life, but it's hard for them to understand what I am going through and I am apprehensive about sharing the true extent of my inner struggles with them.

Hi Wifey and welcome to AS. I am sorry for what brought you here. It can be nervous coming to a new place, to people you don't know. But you will find this a very supportive site with others who understand. Like you I come from a  place of support from the RL but they just can't understand what I mean at times or I don't want to burden them with certain feelings.

Take your time going over the site we are here for you.

Patricia

7 hours ago, Wifey 147.3 said:

Hello Wifey,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for what brings you here, but AS is a very supportive site with many understanding and kind members. It is ok to be nervous, this can be new and scary, at first. Just take your time and look around. When you are ready you can share what you are personally comfortable with. Everyone one is different in this respect, so do not feel as if you need to do more or less than you want. It is just a comfort to know that others do understand and you are not alone. I do wish you the best on your healing journey.

Mary

:notalone: 

@Wifey 147.3

Welcome to AS! I'm sorry for the trauma you've experienced.  You've come to a safe and supporting place. It is hard at times to try to talk to those that don't understand. Please take your time look around say as much or as little as you like.  Everyone here are awesome and no judgement here.  Good luck on your healing journey

Welcome to AS, and I'm sorry for what brought you here. I joined for the same reason, because I felt like I needed a community that understood what I was going through beyond what my friends in real life might be able to handle. I've definitely found that here — I hope you do too.

36 minutes ago, rebeccam said:

Welcome to AS, and I'm sorry for what brought you here. I joined for the same reason, because I felt like I needed a community that understood what I was going through beyond what my friends in real life might be able to handle. I've definitely found that here — I hope you do too.

It feels like such a hard balance between working toward moving forward and not allowing your life to be consumed by this, while also being purposeful about healing and facing what happened. I love the quote you have by your name, I was just telling my husband today that I don't want this to drown us, I somehow want to win in the end by thriving despite what has happened.

15 hours ago, Wifey 147.3 said:

It feels like such a hard balance between working toward moving forward and not allowing your life to be consumed by this, while also being purposeful about healing and facing what happened. I love the quote you have by your name, I was just telling my husband today that I don't want this to drown us, I somehow want to win in the end by thriving despite what has happened.

I love the quote too — it's more of a goal than a reality for me right now, but I'm working on it. :) And I agree, it's a tough balance to find. I wish everyone knew the answers. This site is a great place to help with working through stuff, though.

On 2017-5-31 at 4:31 AM, Wifey 147.3 said:

It feels like such a hard balance between working toward moving forward and not allowing your life to be consumed by this, while also being purposeful about healing and facing what happened.

Welcome! :wave: What you said above is so well put. I feel the same.