Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi...I think

What happened to me happened when I was 13 years old. I didn't realize it was rape until I was much older, and by much older I mean in college. I always knew it was wrong but I hadn't stopped to notice how it was shaping me- the way I viewed and valued myself, my relationships, my expectations from people- until I was becoming an educated young woman. It was just something that happened in my past, I never really acknowledged how much it affected me. I'm 23 years old today. I'm in grad school, I have a long time boyfriend who knows my story. I have friends who I have only recently started to tell. Two weeks ago was the first time I could say to one of my friends "I was raped." I'm very new to this process and I'm going to be seeing a professional to help me through it in a healthy way. I think being able to express myself about it and just learn to own it (to eventually let it go) is important and this seems like a good place for me to do it. 

Hi world- this is me. 

Edited by BlossomGirl

Hi Blossomgirl

Welcome to AS.Im very sorry and angered for what you went through but glad your reaching out and getting some help.Please know you are not alone and this place is one of comfort support and validation.You are strong and inspiring!!!

4 hours ago, BlossomGirl said:

What happened to me happened when I was 13 years old. I didn't realize it was rape until I was much older, and by much older I mean in college. I always knew it was wrong but I hadn't stopped to notice how it was shaping me- the way I viewed and valued myself, my relationships, my expectations from people- until I was becoming an educated young woman. It was just something that happened in my past, I never really acknowledged how much it affected me. I'm 23 years old today. I'm in grad school, I have a long time boyfriend who knows my story. I have friends who I have only recently started to tell. Two weeks ago was the first time I could say to one of my friends "I was raped." I'm very new to this process and I'm going to be seeing a professional to help me through it in a healthy way. I think being able to express myself about it and just learn to own it (to eventually let it go) is important and this seems like a good place for me to do it. 

Hi world- this is me. 

Hi BlossomGirl,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry for the trauma you experienced, but you have found a very supportive site. I understand how you didn't acknowledge it, I think the younger you are the harder it is to process. It sounds as if you have a decent support system, and I am sure AS can only add to that. It takes courage to take the step and reach out, and I wish you the best on more courageous steps forward on your healing journey.

:aswelcomesu:

Mary

Edited by MeBeMary
6 hours ago, BlossomGirl said:

Hi world- this is me. 

Hi Blossomgirl, welcome to AS. I am glad you found AS. We are here to support you. It is so hard at first to let those words come out, but it gets easier. I always look at it that we finally give it a voice and that is the hardest step. So glad you have supportive people around you and you are going to see a T. we are here for you

Patricia

@BlossomGirl Hi there,  I am sure you have come to the right place :aswelcomesu: so sorry you had to go through what brought you here.  So glad you found your voice:luck:

Welcome, BlossomGirl. I am sorry for what happened to you at 13, but I am glad you found AS and that you seem to have a good support network and are getting help. I was also a teen and it took me a long time to realise what happened. Hope you get lots of support and comfort from this site!