Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hello

So I found this website in January. I registered then but I finally found the courage to introduce myself today. I have not shared my experience since it happened seven years ago, my freshman year of college, because when it happened everyone except one person told me it was my fault. I blamed myself for years and began to drink heavily and almost got kicked out of school because of it. I stopped drinking 3 years ago and decided that same day that it was not my fault. But I still never talked to anyone about it. I'm hoping that I can build some community through here and be able to share my experience in a safe environment. 

Welcome, Koala. I am sorry for what happened to you, and that people told you it was your fault. I know how that feels - it made me not tell anyone for many years, too. I am glad that you know now that it wasn't your fault. You are right, it isn't. Nothing you could do would make it your fault if someone assaults you. That is always the attacker's fault. 

I am glad you found AS. I know the start is scary, but I hope you will find this a lovely, supportive and kind community, full of wonderful people. You are not alone and you can heal from this. 

Welcome @Koala91 . Im sorry for whay has brought you hear and the pain you have been through. Im glad you decided to join, there are some many great people on here to provide you with support and comfort through your journey in healing. I wish you much peace, strength, courage, and happiness along the way. Know you are never without support here.:youcanheal:

Hi Koala,

well, I'm sorry you suffered that attack so many years ago...but i'm glad you found our site so hopefully you can be able to talk about what happened and further your conviction that it was not your fault.  It was not your fault.  I hope being able to unburden this trauma will help you as you work towards living your life with freedom for the years ahead of you.  And I hope that the people of AS (After Silence) will be a part of the support you deserve as you work on healing.

with care,

Activist Ally

On 3/10/2017 at 0:25 AM, Koala91 said:

So I found this website in January. I registered then but I finally found the courage to introduce myself today. I have not shared my experience since it happened seven years ago, my freshman year of college, because when it happened everyone except one person told me it was my fault. I blamed myself for years and began to drink heavily and almost got kicked out of school because of it. I stopped drinking 3 years ago and decided that same day that it was not my fault. But I still never talked to anyone about it. I'm hoping that I can build some community through here and be able to share my experience in a safe environment. 

Hi Koala.

Welcome to AS. I am sorry for what happened to you 7 years ago, but you have found a very supportive site. I'm sorry you only had one person believe you. As for the others, not only were they wrong, they were cruel to speak this way to you. I do commend you for the accomplishment of being able to stop drinking AND realizing it was not your fault. These are huge, considering self-blame is way to common and unjustified with survivors. When you are ready to talk, you will find very understanding and supportive members to listen. I wish you the best on your healing journey.

Mary

:aswelcomesu:

hello Koala

welcome to After Silence

i hope you are finding your way around the board okay, and i hope being here will help you on your healing journey

take care

Paula :notalone::aswelcomesu:

@Koala91

Welcome to AS! I am sorry for whatever reason that had brought you here.  You've come a safe and very supportive site with no judgement. Look around and take your time. You can say as much or as little as you like.  I wish you the best on you healing journey.   I know the feeling way well with being told its my fault. I still get blamed and I am truly sorry that you've been blamed. It wasn't your fault not at all.