Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

hey, new here

nisah_

hi, i'm new and very reluctant. i've never been one for opening up about pretty much anything heavy, especially this. hoping i can get some kind of relief or solidarity or something from here after getting very tired of counselors telling me things i already know. might be nice to make a friend or two on here too, i don't know. that sounds kind of lame, doesn't it? 

Hi nisah,

Welcome to AS. I am sorry for the trauma that you have experienced, but you have found a very supportive site. Many of us are reluctant at first, but it does get easier. Just understand, if you decide to open up about what happened to you, or if you just want to discuss struggles you might have had, or even just read and interact in little ways, it is all up to you. You will not be pressured in any way. Everyone is different and everyone uses the site the best way that suits them. It is easier tho, knowing you are not alone. Nothing you said sounds lame, just take your time and comfortability will come. I wish you well on this healing journey.

Mary

:supportu: 

Welcome nisah. None of what you said sounded lame. We are all here for a bit of solidarity and support, and to find friends who understand us and who we can share things with that our close friends/family in real life do not get. You are on the right track. Hope you will find AS helpful. It is full of wonderful people, and chances are you will find someone (or many) who you will relate to. 

Hello @nisah_,

Welcome! I'm sorry for whatever brought you here.  This is a great community filled with wonderfully supportive people, who best of all truely understand where your at.  This group is huge so no matter what the struggle someone is bound to have been in a place similar to where you are and truely understand.  Non of what you said sounded lame. Glad you are here! And again I am sorry for whatever brought you here.

One

Edited by Oneinamillion
Spelling

thanks for the welcomes, everybody. can anyone kinda explain to me a little more in depth how the site works? obviously there's forums and chat rooms, etc. but are there groups too or anything like that?

2 hours ago, nisah_ said:

thanks for the welcomes, everybody. can anyone kinda explain to me a little more in depth how the site works? obviously there's forums and chat rooms, etc. but are there groups too or anything like that?

Hi again.

Yes, the forums and chat are a big part of the site, but as for groups, we really don't. At least not how you are thinking of them.

Our forums are divided by similar themes where you can reach out to individuals with similar struggles, like domestic violence or addiction & recovery. They are open to all members. We do have forums dedicated specifically for men, women, teens/young adults, LGBT, and adults in our Survivor's Connection forum. These forums do require you to be part of the designated group (male members are not allowed in the women's forum, for example), but is open to any member in that designated group.

Occasionally we have chat topics were members get together to hold specific discussions like once a week in the AS Chat Room. I believe one is currently running, but would be almost over. I would check the chat room forum periodically for posted updates. (Also, just as an FYI, the Chat Room does require 10 posts before unlocking to any new member).

I hope this gives you the general idea of how we interact on the site. If you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask.

New here myself. I'm usually pretty good with words but everything I think of seems inadequate. 40 odd years later am trying again to deal with this shit, and am realizing just how horrible it really was. Have started crying finally but am wondering when it stops? Have been crying daily for about w weeks now. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

10 hours ago, Zappafan said:

New here myself. I'm usually pretty good with words but everything I think of seems inadequate. 40 odd years later am trying again to deal with this shit, and am realizing just how horrible it really was. Have started crying finally but am wondering when it stops? Have been crying daily for about w weeks now. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Hello Zappafan,

A welcome to you, as well. I am sorry its been difficult for you, even this many years later. Myself, it has been 30+ years. I think with some of us that holds on to it for so long, we eventually cannot hold it any more and it just comes out in any way, shape, or form. Including with tears. You know what tho, crying for yourself, the wrong that was done to you, and the pain you feel IS OK.  Realizing and accepting how horrible it really was is a big step, tho I am sure you feel more of a mess than you ever did. Reaching out to others that understand, that is also a big step. Even at 40 odd years later, steps forward are a good thing. It does take time, and sometimes it feels like a rollercoaster ride, but you are on the right path. We are here for you as you walk this path. You are not alone.

Mary

:supportu: 

On 12/4/2016 at 2:03 AM, Zappafan said:

i don't think i'm in a place where i can give advice yet (for a number of reasons) but i will say that even though it sucks, crying is a good thing! it means the shittiness of it all isn't being cooped up in your body festering away and it's making its way out. i wish you luck in your healing and hope you find what you're looking for ~~~