Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi I'm new here

BraveOne

Hello everyone. 

I'm new here, not sure I can be brave and let it all out at once as ive seen some do. My therapist recommended I start here after a very difficult session a few weeks ago, when I finally told her what happened to me but couldn't call it what it was.  The next session she pointed out I kept talking about it like voldemort from Harry Potter and I was able to see it and call it rape it took me ten years to talk about it with anyone and 3 weeks to commit to joining a support group.  I've been here a few times just to scope you guys out as a visitor and from what I've seen you are very supportive and welcoming.  I hope my time here will help bring about the healing I need. Thanks in advance for everything.

One

Hi one, welcome to AS, I am sorry for what you went through, that brought you here. The one thing about here is you just share what you want to some share everything and some bits and pieces, I am a bits and pieces person. I am glad you took time to look over our site.  You will find this a safe place and you are not alone. I am glad you have a good T.

4 hours ago, phoenixxx said:

Welcome oneinamillion. I still can't say the words either - dont pressure yourself. It takes time to heal. You are definitely not alone here. 

I tried a few weeks ago I ended up shaking violently for almost 24 hours my business partner had to come do my work it was so bad and i ended up in an accident before I left the job sight I learned a Valuable lesson I thought like everything else I do if I pushed I'd get it done and over with. Didn't think of what it would actually do to me.

My T calls that shaking disassociating and told me if I do that again she needs to know asap... I'm a little confused about it, she really didn't explain it in depth.

Edited by Oneinamillion
14 hours ago, Oneinamillion said:

Hello everyone. 

I'm new here, not sure I can be brave and let it all out at once as ive seen some do. My therapist recommended I start here after a very difficult session a few weeks ago, when I finally told her what happened to me but couldn't call it what it was.  The next session she pointed out I kept talking about it like voldemort from Harry Potter and I was able to see it and call it rape it took me ten years to talk about it with anyone and 3 weeks to commit to joining a support group.  I've been here a few times just to scope you guys out as a visitor and from what I've seen you are very supportive and welcoming.  I hope my time here will help bring about the healing I need. Thanks in advance for everything.

One

Hi Oneinamillion,

Welcome to AS. I am very sorry that you have experienced trauma, but you have found a very supportive site. It's not easy to talk about, I know, but take your time. What you decide to share is up to you. You will never be pressured. I wish you well as you walk down your path in healing.

Mary

:notalone:

A couple of years ago I read about a new form of psychotherapy in which comic books and video games etc were used as kinda analogues to the individual's own story. I've used it myself in therapy (the T laughed coz she was terrible :P) when I said I feel like Batman, like the only sane (yknow, comparatively) person in a city of evil people, fighting daily but not really believing I'll win anymore. I find it interesting that you'd talk about it like he who must not be named, that's a very apt um.. metaphor? Simile? (It's near 5am and my words don't work so good.) Anyway, welcome, we've spoken in chat once or twice now but I thought it only polite to officially pass you a signature Dante blueberry muffin and say howdy :)

13 minutes ago, limbodante said:

A couple of years ago I read about a new form of psychotherapy in which comic books and video games etc were used as kinda analogues to the individual's own story. I've used it myself in therapy (the T laughed coz she was terrible :P) when I said I feel like Batman, like the only sane (yknow, comparatively) person in a city of evil people, fighting daily but not really believing I'll win anymore. I find it interesting that you'd talk about it like he who must not be named, that's a very apt um.. metaphor? Simile? (It's near 5am and my words don't work so good.) Anyway, welcome, we've spoken in chat once or twice now but I thought it only polite to officially pass you a signature Dante blueberry muffin and say howdy :)

That blueberry muffin sounds mighty good right now woke up about and hour ago from a nightmare haven't been able to go back to sleep, maybe a snack would help ;) I actually just talked to my T (cause she is back in town!) to tell her I woke up shaking again all over the phone I had tried all the resources she gave me and they normally work I called the emergency number and she actually answered was concerned cause I was even shaky in my speech we talked about the nightmare.  I still couldn't sleep but I feel better having talked about it with someone. I'd talk to you guys but there are lady's and gentlemen here that have it far worse then me.

Thanks for that she wants me to write about my life as a fictional character so I guess that's a little similar I love your Batman analogy.

Edited by Oneinamillion
I forgot some

Be careful with that way of thinking, though. There ARE people who have it worse, but that doesn't mean you're sat in front of the TV with a bowl of cherries, yknow? We all struggle from time to time, try to resist the inclination, natural to our stoopid mammalian brains, to categorise and rank. We're all here coz badness happened. That's all. Don't ever be afraid to seek support as if you have no right to complain, mkay? We're here for you :)

At MeBeMary and everybody else thanks for all the kind encouragement it means a lot to me. It more valuable then anything known right now.

Edited by Oneinamillion
I hate autocorrect

Oneinamillion, I commend you for your courage. You are so brave to even register on this site, let alone make your first post! Incredible milestone, sweetie! I am so sorry for what you went through, but I am so happy that you are finally able to open up to your therapist--that is a huge step in the right direction. It's a constant struggle to remind myself that everyone heals at a different pace, but it is so true. Please allow yourself to heal on your terms and I hope that you feel all the love and support AS embodies. I am a new member as well, but I have already felt so much welcoming it's incredible; I can only hope to pass that a long to you.

WE will heal--sitting with you if that's okay.  

hello Oneinamillion,

you are very welcome here to After Silence, I'm Paula and i am a member of the Newbie Support team here. I hope you are finding your way around the board okay, if you need anything, please dont hesitate to contact me or one of the team

i wish you well on your healing journey

take care, Paula

Hi Paula thank you for your offer I'll keep it in mind. HealingT your too kind.

I hope we can all heal and get past these horrible memories.