Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Where to Begin?

Mgnlyn

Hi!

I'm new here and I'm new to opening up. I've kept my secret for sixteen years until recently I told my boyfriend of six years. After finally telling someone I thought I'd feel a bit of relief but I do not, I feel embarrassed is this normal? I joined the group in hopes of helping myself and possibly helping others. 

Hi @Mgnlyn 

Welcome to AS. I'm sorry that you have reason to be here but I hope that you find it as helpful and supportive as I have.

I also joined AS after keeping (suppressing/denying) my secret for 15 years. Unfortunately (and illogically) it is quite normal to be embarrassed, I hope your partner is supportive and helps you through this.

Welcome Mgnlyn. I am sorry you have a reason to be here but glad you found this wonderful and supportive community. I understand the feeling of embarrassment. I felt the same when I first told my bf. It passed for me, mostly. Glad you are helping yourself - this is a great first step! 

16 hours ago, Mgnlyn said:

Hi!

I'm new here and I'm new to opening up. I've kept my secret for sixteen years until recently I told my boyfriend of six years. After finally telling someone I thought I'd feel a bit of relief but I do not, I feel embarrassed is this normal? I joined the group in hopes of helping myself and possibly helping others. 

Hi Mgnly,

Welcome to AS. I am sorry for the trauma you have experienced, but you have found a very supportive site. The members are understanding and kind. I am sorry you are embarrassed by expressing your secret to your boyfriend. It was actually a very brave thing to do. You've held this secret for a long time, it is in no way unusual for you have reactions that you may or may not understand. You are processing something new, and hopefully with time, you will be able to let that embarrassment go. I am glad you have found our site and wish you well as you travel down this healing path.

Mary

:notalone:

• 2 weeks later...